KR
Posted By
Kelvin_Ritchie
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone using PSE2 with MacOS 10.3.5? Any new issues? Anyone using an Epson printer with 10.3.5?

Kelvin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 20, 2004
No Epson, but PE runs just dandy on both my ibook and my imac in 10.3.5.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Aug 20, 2004
What Barb said except for mine’s a G4 tower.

Joe
KW
Kyle_White
Aug 20, 2004
PSE2, OS10.3.5 and Epson Stylus C80, on a G4 1GHz DP MDD tower.

All happy as little clams. 🙂

(Except for the low ink cart’s and lack of paper ;))

Kyle
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 21, 2004
PowerMac G5 dual pro, running smooth as before!

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 21, 2004
Just installed it, restarted, and haven’t done my second repair permissions, but will do so soon. Everything seems OK with PSE and my Epson.
Will know more tomorrow, Ray helped me get up my courage!! Only thing that I need to know is if my EXT HD is OK, but too tired to look at it tonight,,,, Jane
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks for everyone’s input. Now if I can find someone who has a an Epson R200 printing and is running 10.3.5 I might upgrade.

Kelvin
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Aug 21, 2004
Kelvin,

I’m printing to my old Epson 890 and have had no problems what so ever.

Joe
JR
John_Riding
Aug 22, 2004
Hello everyone from a PSE user in the UK.

I was running PSE quite happily on a G3 iMac. Then I bought a second hand 1.42Ghz G4 Powermac MDD (now running OS 10.3.5). That’s where my problems started.

When I try to install PSE the installer gets two thirds of the way through the installation and then stops with an Error Message that says "access denied: cannot create folder".

I’m not sure if this is PSE related or computer related – but I guess if you guys are happily using PSE on 10.3.5 then it’s probably a computer problem.

I’m not sure that I’ve set myself up properly to administer the computer.

Any good advice would be welcome. Cheers. John
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 23, 2004
John,

It looks like a permission is wrong. Have you tried to repair permission lately ? If not, start with that and report back.

Ray
JR
John_Riding
Aug 23, 2004
Ray

Thanks for the interest.

One of my problems is that coming from an iMac and OS9.2 to a G4 and OS 10.3.5 I don’t know an awful lot about permissions.

I’ve read what’s in mac help but which permission am I looking for?

I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

regards. John
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 23, 2004
John, I’m not using Panther yet, but under Jaguar there’s a Utilities folder in the Application folder. Once you find that, go to Disk First Aid, where you should find an option to Repair Permissions. It’s a system wide thing, so you don’t have to look for anything specific. If you haven’t done it, it may take a while the first time.

Get in the habit of repairing permissions on a pretty regular basis. In some ways it relates to the old "rebuild the desktop" in OS 9. When the permissions are out of whack, really strange things can happen. It’s also a good idea to run Repair Permissions both before and after installing software – especially programs that make use of an installer. I always do this and have had very few problems with my system. (I have a dual gig G4 MDD.) And, if you don’t leave it on and running 24/7, be sure you get one of the little utility programs like MacJanitor and run that regularly, too; that will replace the built in system utility that runs every day in the wee hours of the morning.
LM
Lou_M
Aug 25, 2004
Kelvin:

I’m using OS X 10.3.5 and an Epson Stylus Photo R300 with no problems.

Lou.
JR
John_Riding
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks to all for all of the advice.

I forgot to mention that my G4 already had two hard drives installed. I struggled fratically with "permissions" for hours in OS 10.3.5 but PSE still would not install.

My previous owner had supplied me with a restore DVD which I have used to install OS 10.2.4 on the clean hard drive. This has enabled me to install PSE with hardly any problems. PSE also still works if I start up from the drive that has 10.3.5 on it.

I know that this might not be the best solution but it has enabled me to carry on using PSE.

Again, many thanks. John
R
Ram
Aug 31, 2004
Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections