Opening Mac file in Windows XP (Photoshop Elements 2.0)

SE
Posted By
Steven_Epstein
Jan 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m able to open a Mac Tiff file in Windows (from a CD-ROM) with Photoshop Elements. I can also make color adjustments, etc. However, when I save it in My Docs and then try to open it from there, the Photo is vrtually unidentifiable. This happens even if I save it without any additional enhancements. The thumbnail which is visible when opening the file in My Docs appears perfectly correct. When I double click it and open it in Photoshop, it again appears with the wrong color/shading etc and is virtually unrecognizable.

It’s only when I open it from the CD-Rom that it appears correctly (after it asks me to let it convert to the proper RGB configuration).

Is there any way I can save this file to windows?

Thanks.

Steve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 5, 2004
Steve,

You are making a copy of the file on CD and placing it on your hard drive and starting from there, right?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 5, 2004
Steve,

Are you using "Open As" and then selecting .tif? Or try renaming the file once on your hard drive to .tif if it says .tiff.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 5, 2004
I didn’t have a TIFF to test, but I did have a big layered PSD file that was created on my Mac. I put the CD in the XP machine, copied the image I wanted to test to the desktop, and opened it in Elements. I made a couple of minor changes and then did a Save As to My Pictures. After deleting the original image files, the copy still opens just fine. Have you tried that approach? I don’t think there’s a major difference between PSDs and TIFFs in this case, although I may be wrong.

By the way, when XP wanted to do a lot of "cute" things when the CD opened, I told it to leave well enough alone. I manually opened the CD and did the copy that way. I didn’t give Windows a chance to make any modifications. Of course, we still don’t know what Windows OS you’re using, nor which Mac OS either.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections