Posted By
Chris_Hughes
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I am having a problem getting 2.0 to install on my 1.25G eMac running OS 10.3.4. I have thus far installed it 4 times, and each time when I try and run the application, I get repeated error messages that:

"Could not load default swatches because the file was not found"

"Could not load default Gradients because the file was not found"

"…patterns…"

"…contours…"

and so forth. When I finally click through all of these, the program seems to open, though I can’t move the Browse window. When I browse to a file and try and select it, the program crashes. Could this be some type of copy protection? I had Elements on my old eMac that I sold after wiping the drive.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 13, 2004
How did you install it? From the original CD or by copying it from the old eMac? If from the CD, try to copy the content of the CD to your hard drive and install it from there.

Ray
CH
Chris_Hughes
Jul 13, 2004
I am using the original CD. What portion of the content should I copy to my HD?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 13, 2004
Have you been doing regular system maintenance, including running Repair Permissions both before and after installing applications? What about those secret "middle of the night" routines? If your computer isn’t on 24/7 you might need to run something like MacJanitor.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 13, 2004
Try Beth’s suggestion first (I didn’t think of it… It’s much simpler!), and if it fails, create a folder of your desktop, and copy everything from the CD in that folder, and install from there. Once completed, you’ll be able to delete that temporary folder on your desktop.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 13, 2004
Ray, you don’t even need to create a folder, just highlight the cd and go to file>duplicate. Also be sure any anti-virus software is disabled while installing.

If all else fails, go to NetInfo Manager in applications and try enabling the root user for installing, or creating a new user.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 13, 2004
Wouldn’t enabling root / installing under root make the software run only under root? It sure does that when you install something with root, on a UNIX system.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 13, 2004
No, not with X, Ray. It’s one of the traditional last resort workarounds on those rare occasions when something just WON’T install. Of course, you can tell the computer to restrict the program to Root if you want, but by default software is available to all users unless you change it.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 13, 2004
I have to say, though, that in the other threads on problems installing in 10.3.4 it seemed that Root didn’t help any for a couple of people.
CH
Chris_Hughes
Jul 13, 2004
Hi Beth,
I just repaired permissions earlier today. My machine runs 24/7. It has been having some random strangness of late, and I have been wanting to Disc Warrior it, but I have one of the new 1.25G eMacs, and my DW disc will not boot it. Alsoft says they are waiting for Apple to release system info to them on the new machines before they can make a disc that will boot it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections