SC
Posted By
Steven_Coppin
Mar 22, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I launch Illustrator or Photoshop (both CS2) on my new iMac 2.8 GHz, I get the error message: "Connection Failed. server may not exist or is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again."

I click OK and they open, but this behavior is getting OLD. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed and I continue to get the error every time I open these applications. It only happens with Illustrator and Photoshop. I’m in the process of transferring all my files and apps from my old G4 which is connected via ethernet. I’ve de-activated and removed the old copies on the G4. Does anyone know what is causing this error message and how I can remedy the situation? Thanks for your help.

(24" 2.*GHz Core 2 Duo iMac / OS 10.5.6 / 2 GB memory)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SC
Steven_Coppin
Mar 23, 2009
After posting, I realized that I was NOT connected to the old G4. When I connected (ethernet) I was able to start Photoshop and Illustrator on the iMac with NO error messages. When I disconnected again, the error messages returned. I am not planning on keeping the G4 and still need to figure out what is causing the problem.

• 24" 2.*GHz Core 2 Duo iMac / OS 10.5.6
• Dual 1 GHz Quicksilver G4 / OS 10.4.11 (had OS 9 on a second drive that was removed)
R
Ram
Mar 23, 2009
CS2 is not supported in Leopard (10.5.6). If it works, fine; if not, you’re pretty much on your own.

Did you install the applications from the original media?
SC
Steven_Coppin
Mar 23, 2009
I did not realize that CS2 apps were not supported by Leopard. I installed the applications from original Adobe upgrade disks that I’ve registered with Adobe. I haven’t had a chance to do much work yet, but the apps seemed to work with Leopard. I see that CS3 versions are supported. Which versions will the upcoming Snow Leopard support? Thanks again.

• 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo 24" iMac / OS 10.5.6
• Dual 1 GHz Quicksilver G4 / OS 10.4.11 (OS 9 was on a second drive that was removed)
R
Ram
Mar 23, 2009
I see that CS3 versions are supported.

…sort of. :/

Which versions will the upcoming Snow Leopard support?

Who knows?
B
Buko
Mar 23, 2009
since snow Leopard has not been released yet its hard to say.
SS
Susan_S.
Mar 24, 2009
I’ve just done almost exactly this. Moved to a brand new imac runnning Leopard, (but I’ve got the newer model imac – 4Gb, 2.93 Ghz 10.5.6) and not yet bought CS4.

I installed both Illustrator and Photoshop CS2 from the disc (migrating didn’t work, suprise suprise so I just wiped everything off and started with a clean install) but both still refused to start until I’d repaired permissions. After I did that it worked fine.

Even using Rosetta, Photoshop CS2 seems to be faster than on the G5 imac I’ve just replaced. And no apparent bugs so far.
R
Ram
Mar 24, 2009
migrating didn’t work,

Migrating is always a bad idea,

so I just wiped everything off and started with a clean install

Well done.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections