A
Posted By
AceH
Jun 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Where are the "Open Recent" files for PhotoShop Elements 2 stored? I need to delete a couple of these files.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 22, 2004
The "open recent" files are stored in whatever folder you put them in. If you are asking how to remove filenames from the "open recent" list, you cannot do that. The only way to remove a filename from that list is to open additional files.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 22, 2004
As Jim says, it’s just a list of what you opened. By the way, you can adjust the number of files that are listed in the recently opened list by going to Edit Menu and selecting Preferences<Saving Files. At the very bottom of the dialog box, you can set the number of files you want to show up in the running recently opened list. You could even set it to 0 so it doesn’t keep a running list if privacy is an issue.

Terri
A
AceH
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Terri.
PJ
pam_j
Jun 22, 2004
Photoshop Elements 2.0 came with my new Canon Digital Rebel. Will the help books for 6..7…or CS, be compatible with the 2.0 program?

Pam
DM
David_McCanse
Jun 22, 2004
I download photos from the camera and have files that are 2.92MB. I change the size of the photo by .001" and then the file is 1.67MB. The pixel size remains 2448 x 3264. Why does the size of the stored file change by 1.25MB?
J
jhjl1
Jun 22, 2004
Some info will be helpful and some will be irrelevant.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Photoshop Elements 2.0 came with my new Canon Digital Rebel. Will the
help books for 6..7…or CS, be compatible with the 2.0 program?
Pam
J
jhjl1
Jun 22, 2004
What format are you saving in and what settings are you using? The more info you provide the easier it will be to help you.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I download photos from the camera and have files that are 2.92M. I
change the size of the photo by .001" and then the file is 1.67M. The pixel size remains 2448 x 3264. Why does the size of the stored file change by 1.25M?
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 22, 2004
David,

I’m assuming that you are downloading JPEG images from your camera, and that you are saving your modified images in the JPEG format. If that is the case, the Quality setting could be making the difference. The lower the setting, the more Elements will compress the file when it saves it. Because of different compression algorithms that come into play, I don’t know if you would ever be able to save the image at precisely the same size again. The JPEG compression can have a severely adverse effect on the quality of your images. If you load one of the images from your camera and do some editing, it would probably be a good idea for you to save that edited image as either a tiff image or a PSD image. Neither of these suffer from the type of compression artifacts that are inherent in JPEG images. The tiff or the PSD file will be considerably larger than the original JPEG, but the quality will be preserved. If your final image must be a JPEG for one reason or another, make sure you have completed all of your editing and have your image looking exactly the way you want it to look, flatten the image to remove any layers, and then save that image as the JPEG. Do this after you have saved the edited version so that you always have the high-quality image if you need it.
DM
David_McCanse
Jun 22, 2004
The original is a jpeg. I’m not sure what Elements is doing, but it says it is still a jpeg.
DM
David_McCanse
Jun 22, 2004
I’m not at the computer that has the program, but by quality setting I think you are talking about the window that pops up after you hit "save" that has 3 settings. I did not change the settings…the top box was checked so that is what I used. I don’t know right now what the 3 boxes say right now.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 22, 2004
I know it’s difficult to try to remember everything when the program isn’t in front of you. So when you are able to get back to the computer you can check these things out. When you save a JPEG image, when the save dialog box displays, one of your options near the top of the dialog box is "Image Options". There is a slider that you can use to adjust the quality between the numbers 1 and 12. As you move the slider to the right, the value will increase and the indicator will say low, medium, high or maximum depending on where you set the slider. This is the quality setting that I’m referring to. If you are sending e-mail photographs, you might want to reduce the quality setting so that you can decrease the size of the file. But if you are preparing an image to be printed, and it must be in JPEG format, then you would probably want to use the highest setting possible. For instance, I know that Ofoto only accepts JPEG images for printing. So when I order an enlargement from them, I use the highest setting available. I hope this will provide you with some insight.
DM
David_McCanse
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Jim, I’ll check it out when I get home.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 22, 2004
Pam,

If you are totally new to Elements then I would suggest you buy a book specifically for Photoshop Elements …. the full Photoshop books can be used but as they need work arounds they can be confusing for beginners.

Bob has some reviews of books on his site but I can’t find the address. Hopefully someone else will have a note of it and post it for you.

Wendy
PJ
pam_j
Jun 22, 2004
Wendy

I’m totally new to Photoshop. I bought the book "How To Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin. It’s pretty straight forward but it does say use for 6…7…and CS. I thought I read somwhere that Elements is mostly 6 but not all and 6 is mostly like Elements. The book is rather expensive and if it isn’t compatible for what I need, I need to take it back.

Thanks

Pam
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 22, 2004
Pam,

I have "How to Cheat in Photoshop" and it is a brilliant book but if I had bought it when I first got Elements then I wouldn’t have been able to understand how to work around the fact that it is intended for the full version of Photoshop. A lot of the techniques he uses are not available in Elements and whilst it is a great book, in my view, not for a beginner.

Elements 2 is the cut down version of Photoshop 7 And a lot of things available in 7 have been removed … Pen Tool, Actions, Curves, Masks, Blend If etc. Best bet is to buy a book that is specifically written for Elements.

One I like is Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions by Mikkel Aaland.

If I can find Bob’s website address with the books list on it I will post it for you.

In the meantime why not try a tutorial or two … thats a good way to learn. Try <http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm> that is a great site. Scroll down the screen and you will find all sorts of things for Elements. If you get stuck just ask there is always someone here who will help.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 22, 2004
Pam,

Take a look at Bob’s site … he has split the books into sections according to how long you have been using Elemments.

<http://www.rewarren.com/challenge/books.htm>

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 22, 2004
Pam,

I’d have to agree with Wendy. Great book but it’s pretty advanced. Not a good choice for a beginner.

Terri
R
Roberto
Jun 23, 2004
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:45:10 -0700, wrote:

Where are the "Open Recent" files for PhotoShop Elements 2 stored? I need to delete a couple of these files.

I don’t know where (it’ll be in the Windows registry) to delete a couple of these files. But here’s how to delete them all:

Edit | Preferences | Saving Files
Set the "Recent file list contains" to 0 files OK
<this clears out *all* the recent files>
Edit | Preferences | Saving Files
Set the "Recent file list contains" to however many files you wish OK

B
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jun 23, 2004
Back to the original topic for a moment:

If you can’t remember where your "Open Recent" file is that you want to delete, just open it, then click "Save As." The window that opens will show the current filename and folder as the default. Then just click "Cancel" and close the file. Then browse to that folder to delete the file.
It’s just an easy way to find the path…
Bert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections