Adobe Photoshop Elements Training CD(VTC)

JL
Posted By
Jane Longstaffe
Aug 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know the difference between the updated Photoshop Elements and the older version and could the the above mentioned training CD be used as an interface with the older version?

I would like to buy it but don’t want to waste my money if it will not work.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JC
Jane Carter
Aug 28, 2003
I have this VTC training CD and it will not work on my G4 Mac, I can get it to work sometimes on my old G3 powerbook. I had to have instructions from their tech support people to get it to work, the instructions are a bit convoluted, but I have them, if you need them to get it to work on a Mac.

It is OK, but not great. I forgot how much I paid for it, but as I remember it was a bit expensive for what you got. It does have good basic PSE instructions though.
I haven’t used it in a long time.
Jane
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 29, 2003
I think that I paid about $99 for the VTC one. One CD. This one works on PCs, and only marginally on Macs. It is quite nicely done.

The free one was called "Video Workshop, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2". This one is only PC, not Mac.

I ordered another video thing way last spring when I first got PSE. These are DVD Videos, promoted by Dave Cross, who was the person who did the "Tips for PSE users" here on this forum last spring. I ordered their "PSE for Beginners", and the "PSE for Photographers". Then in July when I still had heard nothing, I found that I had saved a toll free phone # for them, called and cancelled the Beginner one. Then last Monday, both arrived. And I was charged for both, at $40 each, I still haven’t looked at them , but the communication with this company is almost non-existant, so beware. I will look at them and let you know. But if they can’t get their orders correct, I would not recommend them.
But I must look at them before I make any real comments. I shall post the results here, after the big summer finale weekend.
Jane
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 29, 2003
I never could get the Video Workshop to work on any of my Macs, so took it to the computer place that I volunteer at. Worked there on the PCs. Maybe I should try it on my husband’s iMac, as it has very little other stuff to conflict with on it.

I will be looking at the Dave Cross ones later, its the Last Weekend of the Season here, and we will be out-doors most all these days. Unless it rains,,,,
Jane
SL
stephen Law
Aug 31, 2003
Barb,
Where can I get the free "Video Workshop, Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2"??

Stephen
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2003
I don’t know if you still can, Stephen. When PE first came out it came with a coupon for it, or you could sign up for it on the Adobe site when you registered, I think.

It was a nice little introduction to PE, but getting it to run was a nightmare for many people. This forum was filled with exotic workaround attempts for a long time. It was slightly more likely to run on Windows than Mac, but both had trouble with it.
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2003
You might contact totaltraining.com to see if they still have any left.
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 31, 2003
Hi Stephen, I have had all the troubles with my CD that Barbara has described here. I can get to work on a PC where I volunteer, but it crashed the machine a couple of times. www.adobe.com/pselementscd is the website on the cd inst. card that came with my PSE, and I just looked at it. The CD was discontinued on Feb. 28 ’02
That is all the info that I have. Good luck.
Jane
SL
stephen Law
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks Barb and Jane. I just want to find some PE2 tutorial I think I have to go back and study the PE2 book that I purchased

Stephen
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Stephen,

Working along with a good book is a fine way to learn. Doing a search on Google for tutorials will swamp you with hits. There are many excellent tutorials on the internet for free. If you are new to the program, I’d suggest you use the word Beginner in your search parameters. A large percentage of tutorials written for full Photoshop will be equally valuable to you.

Nancy
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Stephen,

I have another suggestion. Many people have a hard time getting their teeth around the concepts of pixels, dpi, ppi and resolution. All images are composed of nothing more than a gridlike arrangement of tiny boxes called pixels. Misunderstanding is rampant when it comes to the subject of image size on a monitor vs printed version. If you don’t completely understand this topic, I think the best place to begin studying PSE is at the following excellent website of Wayne Fulton.

<http://www.scantips.com>

Start with the intro page
Two nice tuts to begin with are

< http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/photoshop/intro_lay ers/> <http://www.espressographics.com/text/selections.html>
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Just a quick note to explain the delay in shipping the DVDs to people like Jane. I hate to shift the blame, but really must in this case. The supplier who was producing the DVDs for us had so many problems and made so many mistakes that, well, they are no longer our supplier. We made the mistake of advertising the availability of the DVDs before we should have, and for that I humbly apologize.
I would be the first to admit that the DVDs were very late in arriving, and we have made every effort to avoid that in the future. The poor folks in our customer service department never were given complete information to pass on to people who had placed orders, and that was unfair to them and to our customers. Again, we have fixed that.
The bottom line? I hope people will look past the previous problems we had to work through, and will enjoy the DVDs!
Dave
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Sorry, one more thing….
Jane (and/or anyone else who has the DVDs)
Please do post your "review" of the DVD(s), ignoring the fact that I am "listening in". Good or not so good, I can take it! 😉
JC
Jane Carter
Sep 2, 2003
Hi Dave, I just received mine, and just put it into my other Mac, and it started to play very well. This is one of the first instruction CDs that has played properly on my Mac! I also ordered the other one, for Photographers, too.

I am watching it now,,,,, hey, I really like it!
This is really excellent! Being a DVD means that I can play it on our television too.

Listening and watching, I give this 5 stars!
Thank you, Jane
M
mx-mom
Sep 4, 2003
Dave,
can you tell me how i get the dvd’s, i logged in to your site, but i didnt see anything on elements.
thanks,
mx-mom
SL
stephen Law
Sep 4, 2003
Nancy,
Thanks for recomandation of the 2 tutorial sites. Contents are very useful

Stephen
P
Phosphor
Sep 4, 2003
mx-mom,
check out www.photoshopvideos.com and look in the DVD section and the 2 Elements DVDs are there. (Nothing official yet, but they will probably be available on amazon soon too)

Jane, I’m very glad that you like them 🙂
RG
Rich G
Sep 14, 2003
I am just getting started using PSE ver. 1. I try to access "On-Line Training" from the Adobe site but it keeps asking me to register my product (which I’ve already done). I think I’ve exhausted my efforts with it and will try other methods of training. Does anyone know of a third-party CD-ROM based tutorial that would be a wise investment? I’ve tried some books but have difficulty grasping the concepts. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Rich
DH
Dave Hamer
Sep 14, 2003
Rich G

Maybe try www.totaltraining.com

This CD training package features Deke McClelland

Dave
M
MLWHEELER
Sep 15, 2003
Rich
I am brand new to image editing. Rather than buying all the books out there, I request them from our local library. Right now I have PSE2 Solutions by M Aaland and 50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques on the way. If the information is useful to me (more like, can I understand what they are telling me) than I would buy the book.
Just an idea.
Michelle Wheeler
PB
Paul Bullen
Sep 16, 2003
Somehow I never noticed this post. Good suggestion. I didn’t think about that. That would encourage one to buy those things that come with software–assuming the software is useful. Thanks.
Paul
TN
Tony Nazar
Sep 16, 2003
I spent a lot of money on books to help get a handle on the basics of Elements. I finally settled on a couple of videos made by Rob Shepperd, senior editor of Outdoor Photographer. They are excellent and I’ve learned enough from them to be able to do some rational experimentation and learning.

Rob’s books are available at: http://www.paulsphoto.com/videos.html

As for books themselves, Lisa Lee’s HT Use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 ISBN 0789728036 is an excellent primer.

The most important thing is to make a duplicate of your original and work on the duplicate. That way, if you mess up, you’ve just lost a little time and maybe learned a few things about Elements.
WF
William Farrer
Sep 16, 2003
I just bought PSE2. Has anyone had any success in locating the PSE2 training CD that Adobe offered for free, but discontinued on 2/28/03? Does Adobe or anyone else offer it for sale? Did those of you who got it find it helpful or a waste of time? Billy Farrer
JC
Jane Carter
Sep 16, 2003
Hi Billy, Don’t waste your time on it, it won’t work on a Mac correctly and acts strangely on a PC. I dont think you can even get it now.
So I bought the Dave Cross ones, they are great. I have another training CD made by VTC Total training co.. and it is good too. But I find that once I watch these, I don’t go back to them very often, I use the books mostly. Watching this forum is where I have learned most.
Jane
TN
Tony Nazar
Sep 16, 2003
In article ,
"William Farrer" wrote:

Did those of you who got it find it helpful or a waste of time?

Waste of time.

Tony
CM
Cory McNutt
Sep 18, 2003
Nancy S. – Hey, nice tuts, you know, tutorials! That Elated website is really nice. I learn so much from this forum.

Cory
JM
Janet_Murphy
Sep 30, 2003
I have tried to download the PSE2 tutorial without success. Anyone have success with this? I have a fairly new Dell PC. Am anxious to get started working with my pictures but it is a whole new world for me and I don’t do well working with books.

Janet M
B
brwehrung
Oct 1, 2003
"William Farrer" …
I just bought PSE2. Has anyone had any success in locating the PSE2 training CD that Adobe offered for free, but discontinued on 2/28/03? Does Adobe or anyone else offer it for sale? Did those of you who got it find it helpful or a waste of time? Billy Farrer

I never got the thing to work correctly. I contacted the supplying company and got the usual song and dance about how I had to update the software on my (win ’98) computer. Waste of time.

Brendan
JG
JR Gardiner
Oct 1, 2003
Janet,
I couldn’t get that CD – offer had expired by the time I bought PE2. So, I started
looking around eBay for tutorials. Got two. One was more of a features overview.
The other "Adobe Photoshop Elements Video Tutorials" by eVideoXpress was worth having. Not perfect, mind you, but did get me going. I still refer back to
it occasionally for some more advanced features. The guy is clearly an expert,
not a great teacher, but all-in-all it was worth the price. Hope that helps.

Regards,
John Gardiner

wrote in message
I have tried to download the PSE2 tutorial without success. Anyone have
success with this? I have a fairly new Dell PC. Am anxious to get started working with my pictures but it is a whole new world for me and I don’t do well working with books.
Janet M

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections