CF
Posted By
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a new user to Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. I am using Windows ME with a HP deskjet 990cse. Does anyone know the best way to crop a picture so it will print correctly in the picture package with multiple pictures? I am trying to use the preset layout of (16) 2×2.5 pictures. Some of the pictures print 2×2.5 as the package shows it should be, but others do not print the exact size on the same page.

The 1st half of the page which shows 1 picture is correct but the 2nd picture on the other half of the page, (which I re-cropped as a 5×7)is not a true 2×2.5 when it prints from the picture package. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice,
Cheryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 2, 2004
Cheryl,

Check the resolutions for both images at Image>Resize>Image Size and see if they are the same since only the first one is printing out correctly.
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 3, 2004
I checked the resolution and they all had 72 pixels/inches. I changed all 3 pictures to 300 resolution. The picture package did better but is still not the exact size the package shows it should be. My 1st picture has 2100/1595 pixels with 7 by 5.316 inches. The 2nd picture has 2100/1650 pixels with 7 by 5.5 inches. The 3rd one has 2100/1738 with 7 by 5.793 inches.

Not sure what else to do to make the package print correct.

Thanks,
Cheryl
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 3, 2004
Cheryl,

The problem seems to be the aspect ratio of your images. You will need to do a little cropping if you want them to come out exactly 2.5×2".

For example, the first image of 2100×1595 pixels. In Image Resize, if you do NOT have Resample checked and type in 300 for the resolution, you will have a 2100×1595 pixel image which will print at 7×5.317. If you go to Image Resize again, type in 2.5" for the longest dimension (with Resample NOT checked) you will get an image of 2100×1595 pixels at 840ppi which will print out at 2.5 x 1.89". If you had Resample checked when changing the size to 2.5, you will get an image of 750×570 pixels at 300ppi which will print to 2.5 x 1.89". (With resample checked you are permanently throwing away pixels, which is why you are hopefully working on a copy).

But the thing is, for the one side to be 2.5, there aren’t quite enough pixels in the other dimension to make 2". If you follow the above method for the other two images, you will see they become 2.5 x 1.96 and 2.5 x 2.07". None are exactly in the correct aspect ratio for a 2.5 x 2" image. So, for the first two images, you need to do a little cropping off of the larger dimension.

An easy way to get all of these images the right size to print out at 2.5 x 2" would be to get the Crop Tool. Above the work area, type in 2.5 and 2 for the width and height variables for the Crop tool, but leave the field for resolution empty. Now just drag the crop tool from top left to bottom right. It will constrain proportions to exactly 2.5 x 2. After you do the crop, double check in the image size dialog box and use the images produced this way to get exactly the size you want out of picture package. Let me know if this works out for you.

Nancy
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 3, 2004
I tried that and it worked great on 2 of the pictures but 1 is still off just a little. It shows 2375/1900 pixels, 2.5 by 2 inches and 950 pixels/inches. Even thought I cropped all 3 pictures the same, one does not want to cooperate.

If you have to crop the picture the size that you want it to print, how do you handle the packages that have different sizes on 1 page to work?

Thanks for any advise,
Cheryl
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 3, 2004
I figured out why the 1 picture did not look correct. It’s because there was some whit around the corner when I cropped it and I didn’t notice that at 1st. So the suggestion you had worked if I am printing all the same size.

Now my concern is that if I crop pictures, it doesn’t look like they are going to print correctly in a picture package with different sizes unless I crop them separately for each package. Is that the only way to do it?

Thanks,
Cheryl
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 3, 2004
Cheryl,

To address your valid concerns, I suggest you start a new thread with "Picture Package" as the title. Others will have more hands on experience than I do with with the subject of that particular feature of PSE.

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 3, 2004
Cheryl,

I just create a new blank document 8.5 x 11". It must have the same resolution as ALL of the images. If your images are of different resolutions, then change them in Image Resize. As the res. goes up, printed size goes down if you don’t use Resample (which will probably give you better quality as all of the pixels are orginal ones, not fabricated by resampling.) Allowing for the margins a printer needs of 1/4" around all the edges, I just open all images I want to include on the sheet to be printed, check the resolutions, have each one be a flattened copy and drag each one to the blank sheet. They will land on top of each other, so use the Move Tool to reposition and the Transform>Rotate when needed.

Nancy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 3, 2004
Nancy, I think that Cheryl will have to do some resampling (hopefully, downsampling) to get the right combination of linear dimensions and ppi to have the exact dimensions she wants for each image on the 8.5 x 11 x 300 ppi blank document….? The easiest way to do that is to set the Crop tool to the linear dimensions AND ppi you want (for example: width: 6 inches; height: 4 inches; resolution: 300 pixels/inch. Pictures cropped in this fashion will slide nicely over to your 8.5x11x300 and be exactly right when printed (or if not exact, very close!)

Chuck

p.s. Someone will point out that I’ve railed against the Crop tool in the past….okay, it has its uses, and I believe this is one of them!
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 6, 2004
I wasn’t sure what the 2 of you meant about setting up a blank document. After opening my pictures,I set the Crop tool to show 6 wide by 4 inches high. When I used the picture package for (16) 2×2.5, the width was 2.5 but the height was about 1/4 in. off. Maybe it’s because I don’t understand about the 8.5×11 blank document that was mentioned or how to slide a picture in a picture package.

I did try using the marquee tool to crop by selecting the tool, clicking image, crop. Then I resized to 6×4. The pictures turned out pretty close but still not exact.

It doesn’t seem like this request should be that complicated.

I really appreciate all the suggestions I am getting. If there are any more suggestions, I am willing to give them a try!

Thanks,
Cheryl
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 6, 2004
Cheryl,

You know how to get your images to 2×2.5" using the crop tool. As Chuck suggested, you could type in 300 for the resolution when setting up the Crop tool. This would keep the total file size down and be less demanding for your computer. If you have already cropped to a different res., just go to Image>Resize>Image Size and with Resample checked, type in 300 for the res. but don’t change anything else (if at 2×2.5 or whatever size you wanted). Chuck wasn’t suggesting that you resize to 4×6 for your desired 2×2.5, he was giving an example of how to fill in the variables only.

This explains the use of a new blank document. This is an alternative to using the Picture Package, it allows for much more flexibility when printing multiple images on one sheet or multiple copies of one image.

* File>New
* width=8 height=10.5 (inches) —–this will allow for the printer no-print zone so you can position your images using all of the space within the new doc.
* resolution=300 (ppi) (because you have your images at 300ppi, images and new doc. must have same res.)
* contents=transparent or white —–transparent will allow you to see the checkboard denoting transparency, this may aid in placing images within this grid to facilitate easy of cutting out later with a paper cutter or equivalent
* OK new document
* have the images to place on the doc. open
* get the Move tool from Tool Box (top of right column)
* click within the image to be printed, hold down mouse button, drag and drop within new doc. —–the corner markings are for scaling, which you don’t want to do as they are already the size you want–click/drag within image to postion on new doc. Go to Image>Rotate and select from choices if you want to "turn" the image.
* click on second image to print so it comes to the front * click/drag/drop with Move Tool and respostion/rotate as desired —–if you want several prints of one image, just repeat the process with the Move tool on the same image for as many copies as desired
* print your new document

note: You can move an image on workarea around by dragging the titlebar. Clicking on a visible piece of an image will bring it forward if they are "stacked up". Images of different sizes can be added to the new doc as long as the resolution matches and they fit within the borders of new doc. Drag by interior of image to reposition, not the edges.

Let me know how this works for you. It all sounds so complicated, but after doing it once or twice it is a snap, really.

Nancy
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 7, 2004
Nancy,

The instructions you gave worked great! Thanks so much for taking time to explain. I was expecting elements to take a 4×6 picture and convert it to a true 2×2.5 in picture package but it doesn’t look like it will do that unless it is already cropped exact.

Thanks again for all your help and patience with me.
Cheryl
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 7, 2004
Cheryl,

I’m glad this has worked out for you now and you’re welcome. As I said, I am not the experienced Picture Package user. I use the method I described above (on the rare occassions I print more than one at a time). I most always print 8×10" or 5×7" and for the latter, I cut my 8.5×11 sheet in half to give the printer.

There may very well be some attributes in Picture Package of which I am not aware. If you’re interested in learning more, start a new thread on the subject because I can’t help you in this. I’m set in my ways of doing things and that means building in a lot of flexibility for future edits, resizing or whatever with minimum dependence on "auto" features.

Nancy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections