JB
Posted By
Joel_Burns
Dec 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Like others here I haven’t been happy with the available batch processing options in PE 2.0, and I didn’t find anything like I wanted on the web.
So, the other evening I installed a demo of PS 7.0 to generate a set of actions, such as: Haze Removal/Auto Contrast/USM (I did 4 of these, changing USM amount) Auto Contrast
Auto Levels
Auto Color
JPEG save (I did 3 of these with Q = 11, 9, and 7)

So … before my demo expires, what other actions should I include? (For instance, I’d like to add Color Cast removal – but can’t since Photshop 7.0 doesn’t have this feature.) Thanks for the info.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DB
Dick Blaine
Dec 12, 2003
Despeckle, dust/noise filter, front flash (5, 10 and 15) would be very useful. Hope you plan to make these available.

————————————————–
Dick Blaine in Cupertino, California

wrote in message
Like others here I haven’t been happy with the available batch processing
options in PE 2.0, and I didn’t find anything like I wanted on the web.
So, the other evening I installed a demo of PS 7.0 to generate a set of
actions, such as:
Haze Removal/Auto Contrast/USM (I did 4 of these, changing USM amount) Auto Contrast
Auto Levels
Auto Color
JPEG save (I did 3 of these with Q = 11, 9, and 7)

So … before my demo expires, what other actions should I include? (For
instance, I’d like to add Color Cast removal – but can’t since Photshop 7.0 doesn’t have this feature.) Thanks for the info.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 13, 2003
Joel, how do you plan to use those actions after your trial expires.

Dick
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 13, 2003
Dick – they can be installed in Elements – the batch action in Elements is just an action and if you know what you are doing you can edit/replace the existing one with one created in PS7 or PS6 – Richard Lynch has already done this for one set and his alternative batch action is available on his Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements website. I’ve been meaning to create my own personal set with my PS6 demo (doesn’t expire!) but I haven’t got around to it.
Susan S.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 13, 2003
Here’s one I asked Richard Lynch about, but he never responded. Can you create an action that allows a Batch change to, for example, 330ppi? Adobe placed several specific resolutions in there, but I was after the ability to do either a custom one or a specific one that wasn’t built in to Elements.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 13, 2003
Beth – it is I believe possible – as I recall at the time you originallly asked I tried to set one up but hit a problem, something to do with the fact that while my demo doesn’t run out of time it is save disabled and so I can’t write an action that uses options from the save dialogue boxes… The batches I wanted to do involved running other actions on a whole set of files, and I think that was possible on my setup. But I haven’t played with actions for months – I’ll have to look into it again.

Susan S.
JB
Joel_Burns
Dec 15, 2003
I’ll try to add the above … resample to 330 DPI (I guess while maintaining the current size – let me know if this is not what you meant). I’ll also add 200 DPI and 72 DPI. If I get it right I can e-mail you my results.

This brings up a question for me though (I’m new to PE) … if I import an JPEG image from my camera, does that really have a default size/resolution? My pics are around 2000 x 1000 pixels, but that could be interpreted as 20 x 10 inches at 100 dpi, 10 x 5 inches at 200 DPI, etc. Who or what decides which is the "correct" size/resolution combo?

Also, I could "resample" my 2000 x 1000 picture to 330 DPI without adding/deleting any pixels by simply changing the size – but I’m guessing the definition of a "resample" is to change the DPI while keeping keeping the size of the image the same (adding/deleting pixels if needed). Is this correct?
JB
Joel_B.
Dec 15, 2003
Dick, once the actions are exported out of PS 7.0 into a file they do not "expire" … I imported the default PE 2.0 batch actions into the PS demo so I wouldn’t lose anything, and now I am adding functions that I think will handy to have available for batch processing.

(Note that the HiddenElements site has a nice set of replacement actions already for PE, but some of the USM parameters in that set weren’t what I wanted.)
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 15, 2003
I want to resize through resolution, e.g., reduce the physical size of my image without a reduction in the number of pixels.

Your definition of resampling is correct, but that’s NOT what I do with images from my camera. My 3mp camera generates images that are about 8.5 X 11 inches (2048 X1536 pixels) at a resolution of 180ppi when first opened in Elements. I increase the resolution to 330ppi, which generates an image that is still 2048 X 1536, but the physical size drops to something slightly over 4 X 6 (these are rough numbers.)

As to the part of your question about the "correct" size – I’m not sure who/what/how the decision is made about the resolution at which Elements opens an image. I don’t give that much thought or consideration. I focus on the resolution I want for the purposes of printing. The recommendation is a range of 150ppi to 300ppi for prints on inkjet printers. I haven’t ever gotten anything satisfactory at less than 150ppi (and even 150ppi isn’t good), but anything from about 240ppi on up gives me a nice print. I’ll often print 4 X 6 images at 330ppi, because that resolution isn’t too far over the target range and I don’t have to concern myself with resampling. I do avoid resampling in most situations, but nothing ever seems to be an absolute besides "don’t edit and resave in JPEG"!

The subject of "correct" resolution for prints can be somewhat dicey. Eventually I think each of us makes our own determination based on a number of factors. I’m sure there are some people who wouldn’t print at 330ppi, feeling it was too high. Others say it doesn’t matter. If you’re indeed a newcomer to PSE and digital editing, I’d recommend you be somewhat conservation in your approach and follow somewhat standard guidelines. After you’re comfortable with your abilities,
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 15, 2003
Joel,

I guess I should have said "after your demo expires". I have tried to get actions created by others to run in PSE2 with no luck. I know that the Hidden Power set of addins will let you add other actions, but I’m not confident that I can decipher the instructions.

I though perhaps you had found a way. 😉

Dick
JB
Joel_Burns
Dec 16, 2003
I placed the file on Adobe Studio Exchange this morning, <http://share.studio.adobe.com/default.asp> … take a look and let me know if it works for you.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 16, 2003
Could you give us a direct link to the page please, Joel? I got the main page, and aside from knowing it would be under Photoshop, I wasn’t sure where to go from there. What’s the name?
JB
Joel_Burns
Dec 16, 2003
It’s not on the page yet, looks like someone from Adobe checks it out first. I’ll post a link when available.

(BTW, this will be for Windoze only … I don’t think the Win and Mac files are interchangable, and I don’t have a Mac.)
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 16, 2003
Harump. 🙂
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 16, 2003
Action files are not platform specific – it should work fine on the mac (altho’ I haven’t tested it as mine is playing up) Brushes, custom shapes, layer styles gradients and actions don’t care – it’s only filters that mind what system they run on.

Susan S
JB
Joel_Burns
Dec 17, 2003
Great … if someone can confirm the above will work on the Mac, I’ll change my description of the file.
JB
Joel_Burns
Jan 6, 2004
Note that I updated the package to version 1.1. Decided to use PSD as the save format (to save layer info if it exists), add separate actions to save as TIFF (IBM byte order) and TIFF (Mac byte order), and tweak the Haze remove settings a bit.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections