RP
Posted By
Ronald_Pare
Apr 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t install the Photo shop Elements program on to my computer. I had it installed previously but was having a problem with reading .pdf files. Someplace in the Adobe KB suggested I remove all elements of Adobe software that I had on my computer and re -install the programs. Now I can’t get Photo Shop elements to re-install.
What do I do?
Thanks, Ron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Apr 1, 2004
Ron,

You need to provide some detail as to EXACTLY what happens when you try to install.

Byron
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 1, 2004
Put CD in tray and started it up.
1st screen=Adobe welcome, hit "next"
2nd screen=pick us english, "next"
3rd = user agree, "accept’
4th = installation & explore buttons
& adobe pfoto elements 2.0& adobe reader 5.1 buttons click "installation" then "adobe photo elements 2.0" cd ramps up nothing happens.
Start over again, go to "explore" then "how to install, read me" tried following directions, didn’t work.
Went back to "explore" then "cd rom contents" double clicked on "adobe photoshop elements folder", scrolled down to the "install" icon double clicked on it , cd ramped up nothing happened.
Here we are!!!

Ron 🙁
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 4, 2004
Hello?, Byron?, Hello?.
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 4, 2004
Hi Ron.

I wish I could help, but I haven’t had to deal with the problem you describe.

One thing that comes to mind, which is a frequent trouble spot during installations, is antivirus software — in particular, Norton. Norton has been documented to be the cause of many fouled installations, which succeeded after Norton was temporarily disabled, but I don’t specifically recall it PREVENTING an install.

Still, you may wish to try installing again with your antivirus software disabled, whatever brand it may be.

My silence on this thread has been in hopes that someone with a like past experience would chime in. Sorry for "abandoning" you.

Byron
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 4, 2004
Ron,

Just a thought: Have you tried cleaning the CD? Here’s a quote from another software vendor under install problems:

"Make sure that the CD-ROM is clean, and not scratched or damaged in any way. Even a new disc may be coated with oil or film from the manufacturing process. Try washing the disc with warm, soapy water and inspect it closely for any physical damage. Wash across the tracks rather than with a circular motion. Rinse well and dry completely with a soft cloth."

Also, does the CD drive perform correctly with other applications?

Bob
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 4, 2004
Ron,

I’m officially out of suggestions, then.

Byron
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks Guys.
I’ve closed down all programs(that I could find) including Norton, and Stop Zilla that were running b4 I tried to install both Photoshop Elements 2.0, and Photoshop album. I’ve also tried to install Adobe Acrobat reader so that I can read .pdf files and I can’t do that either! No Adobe soft ware!!!?
Ron
RC
Richard_Coencas
Apr 5, 2004
Ron,

You can explore the CD and copy the Elements installer folder to your desktop. Sometimes when there is a problem installing off of CD this will work. Also you can try installing in Safe Mode.

Rich
RC
Robert_Camacho
Apr 5, 2004
Use these steps if you are using Windows and not a Mac.

I posted this in response to someone who had a problem similar to yours but they never got back to say if it worked. Maybe you can try it and let us know if it works cuz sometimes it could be that the uninstall isnt completely removing stuff from your registry.

If I had a problem like yours I would do the following:

1) Back up registry
2) Uninstall PSE program
3) Manually check to see if all relative directories were deleted, if not, delete them
4) Download free registry cleaner (for appropriate platform) and run until it comes up with no more errors to fix
5) Reboot system
6) Re-install program

If you use this suggestion please let us know if it worked for you.

Good luck
Robert
D
davee
Apr 5, 2004
Try this:
1. Open your CD drawer and put in the PSE CD.
2. Hold down the Shift key and close the drawer. This willl prevent Autorun from starting.
3. Open ‘My computer’
4. Locate your CD drive (probably D:) and RIGHT click on it
5. Click Open
6. Click on the ‘Adobe Photoshop Elements’ folder to open that.
7. Find Setup.exe and click on it. This should start the setup without the Adobe setup ‘manager’
It’s worth a try!
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 5, 2004
I will try what you suggested. I’m not sure about a couple of things though. PSE=?
Manually check?
Relative directories?
Where do I get the registry cleaner?

Well,… actually, maybe a little more than a couple:)
Thanks, Ron
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 5, 2004
I just got PSE duh!
Ron
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 5, 2004
I did do the thing with the Install folder "without" the manager. Ron
D
davee
Apr 5, 2004
When you said you removed all elements of Adobe software on your computer, did you uninstall it using Install/Remove Programs or did you just delete the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe ?
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 5, 2004
I used the add/remove program in the "control panel" of win. XP Ron
D
davee
Apr 5, 2004
Ok – just an idea. Can’t think of anything else just now 🙁
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 5, 2004
After you used the Add/Remove program in the control panel, did you do a search for any other files or folders that may have been left behind? I know for sure that does not get the Elements Preference folder off the computer, and I suppose there could be other stragglers, too. (Sorry if this has already been covered; I started typing before going back to review all of these post.)
D
davee
Apr 6, 2004

1. Do you have 2 CD-ROM drives on your PC? If so it is possible that PSE has saved the drive letter of the one you used the first time and won’t re-install unless you use the same one again, which you may not have done. Corel WordPerfect Office used to be like this.

2. With reference to the previous post, the preferences folder is normally located at C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs (if you have v1, the 2 will be absent)
It would be OK to remove the complete Photoshop folder within the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Adobe\ folder, but not the Adobe folder itself because there may be Acrobat Reader stuff there.
RC
Robert_Camacho
Apr 6, 2004
Hi Ronald

PSE= Photoshop Elements. Use the add/remove program to uninstall it.

Manually check?
Use your Windows Explorer and verify the directories have been removed.

Relative directories?
I do not use XP but it could be in more than one folder. eg C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2, D:\Documents and Settings\[User name]\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop. It could be located in some other directory on your system. Delete it manually if it still exists.

Where do I get the registry cleaner?
I have used a registry cleaner called RegClean.exe for Win95/Win98 and RegCleaner.exe for WinNT/ME/2000 with good success but until now have not had a need for the XP platform. I did a search and found RegScrubXP 3.25 at the following site: <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048>

Wait for the download to start on its own. Do not click on the screen which appears with Registry Mechanic. The file you want to download is called RegScrubXP 3.25. Make sure thats the one you get as that one is the free one.

Make sure you do a backup of your registry first – Very important!!! Always do this in case anything goes wrong. In this way you can always restore the original registry if there is a problem.

After installing the Registry Cleaner run the program till it comes back with no errors to fix – some times it could take two or three runs to fix all the errors. Next reboot your system and install Photoshop Elements. Let us know if that worked for you.

Robert
Hope this helps you. Bye for now.

Robert
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 6, 2004
Ronald,

Here are the paths in XP. I have Elements 1 but the locations should be the same:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements

Delete the Photoshop Elements folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop

"Bob" is the Windows user name under which Elements was installed and will be different on your PC. You may have to check all the users if you have multiples to find it. Delete the Photoshop directory.

Bob
RP
Ronald_Pare
Apr 7, 2004
Gentelmen.
Looking back to the sugestions that one of you made about removing Adobe programs. I went back and did a full search of all the files and programs on my computer with the word "Adobe" in them and found several(18) which I removed/deleted there was one called "XXX Adobe" -?. I installed PSE 2.0, it went right in, no problem! Then installed Acrobat reader, again no problem. I will chase down and use the registry scrub program.

Thank you very much for the help!
Ron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections