Posted By
Linda_Rathgeber
Oct 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bob Levine wrote:
In all fairness, Linda, neither is Windows but look at what the EU is doing to Microsoft.

If they don’t like the company policies, they don’t have to buy the product.

If you’re doing business there, and Adobe most certainly is, you’re going to be subject to those laws.

Perhaps they should produce export versions, like they do cars. 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
deebs
Oct 17, 2006
Or to "allow" users to download software from reputable sources worldwide.

Now that would put the tax people into a tizz. All those software purchases, going overseas?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 17, 2006
If they don’t like the company policies, they don’t have to buy the product.

Which is the last thing that Adobe will want. Cutting off the European market because you cannot comply with their laws would be an interesting conversation at a shareholders meeting.

If the United States had a law for vehicle emissions, and Japan wanted to sell us cars, I suppose Japan could say "If they don’t like that we don’t comply with their laws, they don’t have to buy it", but I suspect that they wouldn’t <smile>.

Adobe wants to comply with the EU and in return, the EU respects protection of IP/copyright, etc of Adobe.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 17, 2006
Ahhhhh….activation ranting. Feels good to be home. LOL!

I’ve been very pleased to see how trouble-free the CS2 license management has been, in contrast to CS. I don’t think there should be limits on how many systems an app can be installed to, but that is based upon the premise of a single user and also distinguishing between professional and non-professional use. If a person isn’t making an income from their use of PS and they want to put it on 5 machines of their own, to use any given one at any time without having to do a transfer activation, I think they should be able to. But, it all just starts getting messy when a product is marketed to both professional and non-professional markets, with and without multiple users, etc., so the companies just aim for something that is a workable compromise for the majority of folks I guess. How Adobe has implemented activation doesn’t really bother me so long as the process works with few errors. However, they do still need to make it fully independent of having an internet connection (as required for an activation transfer) and they need to provide a grace period on reactivation so that someone without the ability to reactivate immediately, in the event of an error, is not locked out of using a tool which they may be dependent upon in a professional capacity.

Regards,

Daryl
B
Bernie
Oct 18, 2006
Speaking of limiting the number of machines, 91 posts and no one has mentioned dongles… Wonder what the OP would say if he had to deal with those…
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2006
for what it’s worth, and i’ve said it before, i know and understand the eula, but i agree with kevin. the restrictions should be a per USER not per machine. adobe could garner a lot of good will by bucking the "industry" to go with this model. after all, i can only use one machine at a time. so what if i happen to have 5 machines in the house. (i don’t).

that’s my opinion, but this was hashed to death since CS (vers. 8 ) was released with activation.

on a side note, if you think adobe’s 2 activations (with reactivation for deactivating one of the 2) is bad, you should hear about MS Vista’s new proposed RETAIL (not oem) license allowing only one transfer (iow new machine replacing an old one in your house) per license. with that forthcoming os, if you upgrade/replace your system more than once you’ll need to buy a new license for the os even if all previous licenses are no longer running! talk about arrogant! i’m sticking with xp for now thanks.

deebs dave. 🙂

zdnet: Microsoft limits Vista transfers <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6126379.html>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 18, 2006
W2K anyone?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 18, 2006
Hi Dave,

Yeah, if that happens with Vista, you know there will be a big customer backlash. That is exactly the kind of stupidity that invites one to seek alternative solutions. I’ve just built a new PC and installed XP Pro, and found myself very surprised and puzzled to see it prompt me for another activation after I’d fully set up the system. All hardware was in place and all I had done was shut the PC down, relocate it in my house, and power it back up. Fortunately MS Support readily provided an activation code with few questions other than "is this the only PC on which this XP license is installed". I ran into the same issue again when I had BSOD problems that prompted me to start over at square one again, not expecting to have to activate since I thought the activation hash would be intact. Whatever it was that went awry, that meant yet a 3rd activation of the same system which would leave me to question the impact of this proposed Vista scheme. Fortunately, as I had to yet one more time start over with the software intallation and did a clean install, activation that time was not required. I also discovered along the way that the X-Setup tweaking utility now features an option to save the WinXP activation data to a file that can be restored to supposedly forego having to activate again…that’s the kind of think Adobe should provide. However, it also suggests that the WinXP activation is strictly file-based, not making use of hidden drive areas as I thought it did.

I’ll definitely have 2nd thoughts about migrating to Vista if that licensing approach does get implemented.

Daryl
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 18, 2006
all your software are belong to us
D
deebs
Oct 18, 2006
I agree with me 🙂

It is a shame that the exposition was built on shaky ground (I wish the OP said something along the lines of: we do our level best making sure that the eula is respected).

Dongles?
Great for sure but if someone went and … well, then there is a great big gulf between the good people on provision and the good people buying with a wedge of mischief in the middle in the form of informal and formal piracy.

Dongles with a need to phone in or self wipe? Mission impossible?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections