DC
Posted By
dr_crispi
Jul 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I too have bought a Mac laptop and would like to transfer Photoshop and Studio MX from the Dell to the Mac. I already have it on my desktop as well so this would be a replacement for the second computer on my licenses. Can I do this or do I have to repurchase both products for a Mac?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jul 15, 2006
The Windows version will not run on a Mac. Period.

If you want to destroy the Windows version and sign a letter to that effect, you can buy a "crossgrade" from Adobe at a nominal cost.

If you want to keep both running, you need to buy a Mac version outright.
R
Ram
Jul 15, 2006
Remember there’s activation now. 😉
DC
dr_crispi
Jul 15, 2006
Thanks for your reply, Ramon. The problem is that I have an IBM-compatible and a Mac now. Can you explain what you mean by crossgrade? And what did you mean "remember there’s activation now?"

Thanks in advance.
AR
alan_ruta
Jul 15, 2006
As an aside:

You can have 2 macs activated at the same time. If you were to have a 3rd mac, lets say a laptop that you wanted to use during a vacation then you would have a minor issue.

You would have to de-activate one office computer and activate the travel computer and do the inverse when you return.

Does anyone know if there is an de-activate/activate limit?

alan
D
Dirk
Jul 15, 2006
Since we’re on the subject of activation/de-activation. Here is my scenario I might run into:

Lets say I take on a job for a photographer doing re-touching and I install my own copy of PS CS2 on their computer and then activate it. Then after a few months I leave or get fired and I can’t get back in to de-activate it. What would be the course of action?
R
Ram
Jul 15, 2006
Dr Crispi,

Thanks for your reply, Ramon. The problem is that I have an IBM-compatible and a Mac now.

If you have a Mac with an Intel cip you could very well run your Windows version of Photoshop in Boot Camp (which in effect allows you to run Windows natively on your Mac Laptop) and there would be no problem at all.

If your Mac is a PowerPC, then you have to buy the Mac version outright.

Can you explain what you mean by cross grade?

Some users abandon the Windows version alltogether and want to run the Mac version, which they obtain by buying a "crossgrade" (cross-platform upgrade) at a nominal price after destroying the Windows version.

And what did you mean "remember there’s activation now?"

That people who try to fool Adobe when signing the letter of destruction for the Windows version will get caught when the try running it anyway. 😉
R
Ram
Jul 15, 2006
Lets say I take on a job for a photographer doing re-touching and I install my own copy of PS CS2 on their computer and then activate it. Then after a few months I leave or get fired and I can’t get back in to de-activate it. What would be the course of action?

Only Adobe Customer Service can address that. You’d have to call them up.
D
Dirk
Jul 15, 2006
A friend of mine had a Mac version of PS 3 and went to the Windows version of PS CS2 for the upgrade price. Not a bad deal…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections