Posted By
JasonSmith
Feb 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS2
I use the layer clipping mask feature quite heavily, and I am noticing some different/annoying behavior that I dont remember from previous versions.

First off – if say a HSL adjustment layer is used with the underlying layer as it’s clipping mask, if that underlying layer’s visibility is turned OFF – going to ‘delete hidden layers’ gets rid of the underlying layer, but not the adjustment layer that was associated with it – thereby affecting everything underneath it. This may have been present in earlier versions. This makes it very confusing with lots of layers and groups, and makes it a project to find that one adjustment layer that didnt get deleted.

Second, moving/dragging the underlying layer up or down through the layer order does not include the associated adjustment layer – thereby unmasking that adjustment layer and affecting the entire composite underneath. This is REALLY annoying. Apparently we now have to group a masked adjustment layer if we want to change the layer order. I dont think this was present in previous versions.

With both issues, It can be very confusing with multiple layers/groups and doesnt seem like positive behavior on the software’s part.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Feb 8, 2007
Point 2 Can’t you just command click all the layers associated with adjustment layer and move them together?

Or you could put all the stuff in a folder that is connected.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 8, 2007
Yes – but selecting all those clipping mask layers (sometimes it could be in the double digits) seems a step backwards from previous versions.
B
Buko
Feb 8, 2007
Thats where the folder comes in handy.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 8, 2007
Didnt really NEED the folder(group) in previous versions, guess I do now.

Um, how is this progress?
B
Buko
Feb 8, 2007
Um, how is this progress?

weeeeeell, its the next version it has to be progress. B)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections