D
Posted By
DJL
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just got a PowerBook with 10.3.5 loaded on it. When I go to launch PhotoShop CS it starts to load then hangs on the "Initializing" window. I’ve dragged the application folder to the trash and reinstalled. It worked fine until I put the computer to sleep. Any advice or help is welcome.

TIA,

David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mary_Matalas
Aug 26, 2004
I had the same problem. Try holding down the Shift + Command key when you start Photoshop. It bypasses some of the plug-ins. It worked for me.

Mary
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 26, 2004
Running fine on this end but I did have the same problem awhile back. Seems it was some Adobe font that materializes from time to time. Trashing that fixed the issue. Try looking for Adobefnts and trash them. Worked for me.
B
Buko
Aug 27, 2004
Don’t let your computers sleep. this is a know issue for some computers and the system update.
D
DJL
Aug 27, 2004
Will try all of these. One thing I found a document in another part of this site was an issue with "Cardiff Time Zone Setting." Apparently, people in that time zone had problems launching. They were instructed to change time zones, launch, then change back the time zone. I figured what the heck, even though I don’t live anywhere near Cardiff. It work. So that, with your suggeations, gives me things to try. Thanks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
DJL:

If only you had mentioned that you were in the UK, we would have known exactly what the problem was!
And don’t choose GMT either.

:~)
D
DJL
Aug 28, 2004
Ann, I’m not! I’m in the Eastern US, but it worked anyway!

D
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 29, 2004
The trouble is that you lied to your computer by pretending to be hard at work in Cardiff while you actually were hoofing-off on a golf-course in the Eastern USA.

And you were caught out.

That’ll larn youΒ…Β…Β…

:~)
US
Ulla_Schirmbeck
Aug 31, 2004
I have updated to OS 10.3.5. since then I cannot open Photoshop anymore. The application Adobe Photoshop has unexpectedly quit!
I have read to trash the preferences, to trash fonts or to put another date timezone.. nothing helped.

Does anybody has another solution? Thanks a lot for helping.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 31, 2004
But did you also "Repair Permissions", or run Cocktail, both before AND after loading new software?

Try that now. Then, if it still doesn’t work, trash Photoshop’s preferences again and then re-install Photoshop.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 31, 2004
VM
victor_maldonado
Aug 31, 2004
Hello, DJL πŸ™‚

Just got a PowerBook with 10.3.5 loaded on it. When I go to launch PhotoShop CS it starts to load then hangs on the "Initializing" window. I’ve dragged the application folder to the trash and reinstalled. It worked fine until I put the computer to sleep. Any advice or help is welcome.

At our last LAFCPUG (Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group) August 2004, we had a long discussion about the OSX 10.3.5 update. The recommendation (more like a dire warning) was not to update to 10.3.5 but to stay at 10.3.4.

Some FCP editors were experiencing "extreme" bugs associated with the 10.3.5 update.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
D
DJL
Aug 31, 2004
Victor,

A twist on the old saying: Too much, too late. My laptop came with it already installed.

D
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 31, 2004
The only bugs of any significance that I have seen reported are the "Sleep" bug (which appears to affect only the 1.8 Dual G5s) and some Airport problems.

The answer to the Sleep problem is to use Insomniac" mode.

I don’t have either that G5, or Airport, and have had no problems with 10.3.5 whatever.
R
Ram
Aug 31, 2004
Ann,

There are also problems with some Adobe expert fonts.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 31, 2004
That is mainly when using Microsoft Office isn’t it?

(Both the older Adobe Garamond Expert and the newer OTF Adobe Garamond Pro are fine in InDesign CS and Illustrator CS in 10.3.5.

You can’t reach all of the Pro fonts’ extended range of characters in Photoshop (because of the lack of a Glyphs palette) but you can copy/paste them from Illustrator.)
R
Ram
Aug 31, 2004
Yes, Microsoft Office is a affected but the fonts also break in InDesign 2.x, whereas they were fine in 10.3.4.
VM
victor_maldonado
Sep 1, 2004
The only bugs of any significance that I have seen reported are the "Sleep" bug (which appears to affect only the 1.8 Dual G5s) and some Airport problems.

That’s the funny thing about all this. Some people are not reporting any problems at all. It makes me wonder what type of habits (computer and software hygiene) the people experiencing the problems have, I am not saying there isn’t any problem with 10.3.5.

The consensus (at last weeks meeting) was that the MDD G4s were having the worse problems with the 10.3.5 update and none of the G5s.

I am on 10.2.8 and Photoshop 7.0.1

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Sep 1, 2004
Victor,

I’m on a Dual MDD G4 and running 10.3.5. Personally, I have not experienced a single problem on this machine. The font issues I’m mentioned happened on a G5 at work.
VM
victor_maldonado
Sep 1, 2004
Saludos, RamΓ³n πŸ™‚

I’m on a Dual MDD G4 and running 10.3.5. Personally, I have not experienced a single problem on this machine. The font issues I’m mentioned happened on a G5 at work.

Hey, I never said film editors know what they are doing πŸ˜‰

amor y paz,
victor πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Sep 2, 2004
Here’s an interesting post, and below an excerpt from said post:

Mark Douma "invisible expert font, except punctuation!?" 8/22/04 1:20pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/6>

The OS X 10.3.5 update is an unfortunate step backwards.

Apple seems to have made some changes to the Apple Type Services framework that are causing the exact problem you’re experiencing with Expert sets of Adobe PostScript Type 1 fonts. (So it seems that in addition to problems with Fraction type-fonts, we now have problems with Expert sets >:-o )

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections