PS
Posted By
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Could you please help me with this: I have installed CS2 on another computer, and each time I start the computer, Help Centre systematically opens. I didn’t have that with my previous setting. Where can I deactivate this function? Thanks!

Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
It sounds as if you might have added Adobe Help Center into your "StartupItems" folder?

There is also an Option to show/not show Adobe Help when you launch CS2 programs.
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 19, 2006
Ann,
I looked into that folder and trashed Version Cue, the only Adobe folder in there. After restart, the problem is still there. Anything else I should try? I remember that when I installed CS2, the installer spent something like 10 minutes installing Help Center. Maybe something went wrong? Thanks!
Paul
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
I am just guessing now: but look for any prefs. that refer to Adobe Help and trash those perhaps?
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 19, 2006
Ann,

I trashed the prefs, but the app still launches. Sorry for the tricky question!

Paul
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
Perhaps the only thing to do is to trash the actual Adobe Help Center.app and re-install it from the DVD?
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 19, 2006
When I trash it, it’s fine. if I put it back, it launches again. As you say, I should trash and reinstall, but I’ll need to be in a good day for that 😉 Thanks!

Paul
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 19, 2006
…. Oh, by the way. Is Help Center the online help only, or does it include Adobe Help for each application? In the first case, I could trash it and just forget it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
Adobe Help Center appears to be an application which supports ALL of the CS2 Suite programs.

You may need to find and trash (and empty the trash) all parts of Adobe Help Center; then re-boot before re-installing it.

Apart from prefs. there are more files related to it in HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeHelpData.
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 19, 2006
Ann,

Thanks for your time and help!

Paul
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
Paul,

Maybe you should have set the preference before trashing Version Cue. Maybe that’s the only way to turn it on and off in the first place.
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 20, 2006
Ramón,

I trashed it but I didn’t delete it, it is back in place. But I can’t find the place where I could turn Adobe Help Center on and off… ? Was it just a guess or is there a checkbox somewhere? Thanks!

Paul
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
Paul,

"Apparently", there is such a setting. I can’t tell you where, because I don’t have Version Cue. I only upgraded to the current Photoshop 9.0.2 and Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0.7, and stayed with older versions of InDesign and Illustrator.

You only get Version Cue when you buy the whole suite, not individual components.
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 20, 2006
Ramón,

There must be some way to turn that off somewhere. I didn’t find it so far, but I am still hoping. Faith is what keeps the world going!

Cheers,
Paul
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
What is fairly ironical is that the Adobe Help Center offers zero help on how to prevent the automatic launching of itself at start-up.

8)
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 20, 2006
That’s funny! But now I feel bad for making you waste your time trying to find out! If this case in unusual, something must have gone wrong during the installation. I should perform a reinstall when I have got some time ahead. Thanks for your kind help! … A last hint: when AHC launches, the icon of the Application folder pulses in the dock too. … doesn’t mean something? … Let’s move forward then.

Paul
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
"Pulsing" usually just means that an application is still loading or that it needs your attention.
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
Yeah, if by "pulsing" he meant bouncing. Pulsing would freak me out!
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 20, 2006
Bouncing is the proper word! It’s just that this A icon for Application (and not for Alien… well maybe after all?) does never show for any other app that is launched. I though maybe it would mean something.
MD
Mark_Douma
Sep 21, 2006
Are you in OS X Tiger? If so, Control-click on the icon of Adobe Help Center in the Dock, and uncheck the option for "Open at Login".

Hope this helps….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 21, 2006
That’s worth knowing, Mark. Thank you.

(The Adobe Help Center icon has to actually be IN the Dock for this to work though.)
PS
Paul_Schilliger
Sep 21, 2006
Mark, that’s a great tip! You saved almost my sanity! … and maybe some other’s. 😉

Thanks!

Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections