Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Groovesome – I like the thinking patterns here:

1 – ID an issue

2 – search for a solution

3 – et voila!

In less than a year of digital imagery I gues I have acquired between 500 to 1,000 images. I really have no intention for these to whizz around indefintely on a hard drive with maybe even further compression being applied on the fly.

However! I have a solution of sorts – very pragmatic of course.

Resize prime images using a PowerToy (yes! It works gloriously and it is free) say to (Medium). Keep these on hard drive then burn the originals to CD – say a rapid prayer – then delete the originals from hard drive. Cool innit?

This way I can abuse my album software variants, plug in key words (when I may be assed ahich is usually about 5% of the time) (BTW for our cousins @assed’ usually means a wonderful combination of be bothered and be motivated) (I mention this just in case!)

So when I need an image I do a keyword search, turn up with the (Medium) copy of the prime – oh I forgot to say I rename by appending CD20 for -erm- compact disk 20 in the archive.

I guess there are better ways?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PH
Photo_Help
Apr 20, 2005

There are programs dedicated to virtual CD drives that tell you what CD# to insert for file_whatever. Personally I use a pretty standard database, but many people find seamless applications like this very useful.
JS
Joe_Stephens
Apr 21, 2005

Old fashioned – I use a Nikon F and a Leica M6 – all photos go onto negatives – the negs are either printed or scanned –

I have scanned some in 1996 and I am rescanning them as scanner technology cheapens and improves.

My negatives and the resulting prints are no susceptible to hard drive crashes or media obsolescence.

Fire, flood can destroy my negs but they don’t help computers a lot, either.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Apr 24, 2005
I don’t even worry about it. ALL my images are on film. I lose bits? Well, there it is, ready to be rescanned.

I used to worry that I would also lose any work I did. That’s true. It’s also true that, upon re scanning and editing, it will look different. At first, that really worried me. Now I say:

So What!

Looking at prints from the 60’s I did and the last set I did before shutting down the darkroom there are a differences. With but two exceptions, the later work is preferable. The two exceptions were on Kodak Medalist, both beach images. Good outcome.

Nevertheless, I have a history track, but with digital arc hiving problems, that track can be lost. So, it’s wise to make prints that will last a while.

CYA, I say!
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2005
hey! photoshopnews.com gets slashdotted!

< http://slashdot.org/articles/05/04/25/0522259.shtml?tid=129& amp;tid=126>

way to go guys! 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 26, 2005
wow. you guys are already on this… interesting:

<http://www.openraw.org/>

i’m more and more impressed with photoshopnews.com every time i go there. keep up the great work! 🙂
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Apr 30, 2005
/. x 2

:~)
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 30, 2005
i’m impressed at how your servers have held up. nice job. not easy.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 30, 2005
what’s the 2nd article? i must’ve missed it.
AM
Ammar_Midani
May 7, 2005
Its the resouce we’ve been waiting for.

Thanks.

Ammar Midani
CB
Cathy_Brown
May 26, 2005
How do you send a letter to the PSNews editor? I have an article link I would like to suggest, and can’t find a way to do it.
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 26, 2005
Cathy,

Check your email.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 27, 2005
Directly on the About PhotoshopNews is a Contact PhotoshopNews mail form. . .

About PhotoshopNews <http://photoshopnews.com/about-photoshopnews/>
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 7, 2005
Longevity:

If you look at Ektachromes from the 1950’s or 1960’s, you’ll see they are already degraded. Kodachromes seem to last forever, but Kodak stopped producing medium format Kodachrome, the evil twits!! You could invest in a slide printer and archive your images on Kodachrome, but it would have to be 35mm.

I make large prints of important images and store them in a cool dark place. I use the Epson R1800, which won out over the 2400 by having a better color gamut and is in fact more archival (up to 200 years on some papers, and longer in dark storage.)

Note that a lot of the images from the 20th century are already almost lost; there’s a project that stores them in a mine in Pennsylvania at subfreezing tempatures, and they have a system in place to scan the images and move everything to newer storage media when the time comes. I think this is beyond the scope of the casual user!!

But are you really going to care if your images last 200 years? None of us will be around to worry about it and out grandchildren will probably have other concerns than preserving the images of some old geezers from a far-away time that is unrecognizable!
D
deebs
Jun 7, 2005
It’s probably a new thing in the history of the world.

While everyone won’t be too concerned about some prints lasting a century or 2 I bet those that do will probably be worth quite a bit (to someone)
RE
Robert_Enns
Jun 8, 2005
I have pictures of my great-great-grandparents well over a hundred years old. And I’m glad I do.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections