Posted By
Neil Jarman
May 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have no idea how to use most of photoshop, although I can crop and re-size photos OK.

I need to combine two photos into one with a fade between them, rather than an abrupt cut.

I presume I need to ue the gradient tool, but here I get lost – all I get is a block of pain which fades to background, not my photo fading to background.

Obviously I’m failing to understand how to use the gradient as a mask, but I can’t get past this stage.

Using PS CS2 v9.

many thanks if you can guide me.

NEIL

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

A
a
May 24, 2006
Once you’ve got the two photos on separate layers, on the upper of the two layers apply a layer mask (second button from the left at the bottom of the layers palette) and apply a linear gradient from black to transparent to the mask.

"Neil Jarman" wrote in message
Hi,

I have no idea how to use most of photoshop, although I can crop and
re-size
photos OK.

I need to combine two photos into one with a fade between them, rather
than
an abrupt cut.

I presume I need to ue the gradient tool, but here I get lost – all I get
is
a block of pain which fades to background, not my photo fading to background.

Obviously I’m failing to understand how to use the gradient as a mask, but
I
can’t get past this stage.

Using PS CS2 v9.

NEIL

NJ
Neil Jarman
May 24, 2006
Hey Craig,

thanks very much,

your clear and precise instructions are really appreciated!

NEIL

"CraigM" wrote in message
Once you’ve got the two photos on separate layers, on the upper of the two layers apply a layer mask (second button from the left at the bottom of the
layers palette) and apply a linear gradient from black to transparent to the
mask.

Hi,

I have no idea how to use most of photoshop, although I can crop and
re-size
photos OK.

I need to combine two photos into one with a fade between them, rather
than
an abrupt cut.

I presume I need to ue the gradient tool, but here I get lost – all I get
is
a block of pain which fades to background, not my photo fading to background.

Obviously I’m failing to understand how to use the gradient as a mask, but
I
can’t get past this stage.

Using PS CS2 v9.

NEIL

E
Ed
May 24, 2006
Neil Jarman wrote:
Hi,

I have no idea how to use most of photoshop, although I can crop and re-size photos OK.

I need to combine two photos into one with a fade between them, rather than an abrupt cut.

I presume I need to ue the gradient tool, but here I get lost – all I get is a block of pain which fades to background, not my photo fading to background.

Obviously I’m failing to understand how to use the gradient as a mask, but I can’t get past this stage.

Using PS CS2 v9.

NEIL
A great source for tips and instruction on a variety of Photoshop effects is Photoshop Creative magazine. www.pshopcreative.co.uk Some fun stuff also.

Ed
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 25, 2006
Hi,

Using PS CS2 v9.

N,

Have a look at
http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/Adobe_Photoshop/All/?a=7 &b=1&c=1&f=15&d=1&ss=layer%20masks

MH
E
Ed
May 25, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Hi,

Using PS CS2 v9.

N,

Have a look at
http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/Adobe_Photoshop/All/?a=7 &b=1&c=1&f=15&d=1&ss=layer%20masks

MH
Page doesn’t load?????

Ed
M
MikeG
May 26, 2006
It loaded for me!

"Ed" wrote in message
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Hi,

Using PS CS2 v9.

N,

Have a look at

MH
Page doesn’t load?????

Ed
E
Ed
May 26, 2006
WEd wrote:
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Hi,

Using PS CS2 v9.

N,

Have a look at

MH
Page doesn’t load?????

Ed
Working now.
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 26, 2006
"Ed" wrote in message
WEd wrote:
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Hi,

Using PS CS2 v9.

N,

Have a look at

MH
Page doesn’t load?????

Ed
Working now.

I think there was a problem with the site last night. It’s a great site, well worth a bookmark.

MH
B
broadinc
Jun 6, 2006
There are a few fun tutorials here.
http://www.showandtell-graphics.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections