Posted By
Nobody
Jun 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi…

I need to make a pretty simple curve (top left corner of a 19pix rounded rectangle). The issue at hand is that the side that would be *outside* the rectangle can *not* be alpha-blended (since it will be used for skinning an application). Its sort of a dark blue rounded rectangle on a gradiented background. I didn’t want any "jaggies", so I spent the better part of the evening tweaking the outside side pixel-by-pixel to get it smooth. Low-and-behold it turned out as smooth as a babys bottom. I felt pleased. A few minutes later I get an angry call saying its jagged as hell. Ooops… forgot to test it on different backgrounds!

How come on about half the backgrounds I test with it looks great, and on the other half it looks horrible? Seems like its mostly the dark colors that have problems even though some of the light colors do as well.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
Kingdom
Jun 18, 2006
"Nobody" wrote in news:aZ8lg.8$:

Hi…

I need to make a pretty simple curve (top left corner of a 19pix rounded rectangle). The issue at hand is that the side that would be *outside* the rectangle can *not* be alpha-blended (since it will be used for skinning an application). Its sort of a dark blue rounded rectangle on a gradiented background. I didn’t want any "jaggies", so I spent the better part of the evening tweaking the outside side pixel-by-pixel to get it smooth. Low-and-behold it turned out as smooth as a babys bottom. I felt pleased. A few minutes later I get an angry call saying its jagged as hell. Ooops… forgot to test it on different backgrounds!

How come on about half the backgrounds I test with it looks great, and on the other half it looks horrible? Seems like its mostly the dark colors that have problems even though some of the light colors do as well.

Your using the wrong program for this, do it in Illustrator and it should be perfect. PS has enough vector stuff to get by on but if your looking for the best you need a dedicated vector application, I dare say Coral would also be perfect but I haven’t touched that in years.

‘Mirror mirror on the wall who is the prettiest of them all?’ ‘Snow White you dirty bitch and don’t you forget it!’
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Jun 18, 2006
"Nobody" wrote in message
SNIP
The issue at hand is that the side that would be *outside* the rectangle can *not* be alpha-blended (since it will be used for skinning an application). Its sort of a dark blue rounded rectangle on a gradiented background.

The fore/background blending/aliasing should probably be done in a gamma 1.0 environment. That’ll avoid all sorts of wrong color blends which may or may not stand out as a sore thumb depending on color and brightness afterwards.

Bart

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections