J
Posted By
Joe
Feb 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have this rollover navigation button for a website I’m working on (http://www3.telus.net/tinkernet/news-text-small.psd). The "news" text has an outer glow effect on it, but it extends past the edges of the image and the cut off looks ugly on a background. What I would like to be able to do is have the outer glow which is on the text layer to only apply where the newspaper is (i.e. no outer glow on the transparent areas) Does anyone know how I could do this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
Joe
Feb 19, 2005
OK I figured it out using layer clipping masks, but I still cannot get it to blend with the dropshadow on the base layer.
FN
Flo Nelson
Feb 19, 2005
Put the shadow on a separate layer – then you can create a clipping mask with the shadow included. (Right-click on the effect and choose "Create layer").

Flo

"Joe" wrote in message
OK I figured it out using layer clipping masks, but I still cannot get it to blend with the dropshadow on the base layer.
J
Joe
Feb 19, 2005
OK Thank you. That does the job, but is there any way to do it dynamically, like without having to create a new dropshadow layer every time I make a change?

"Flo Nelson" wrote in message
Put the shadow on a separate layer – then you can create a clipping mask with the shadow included. (Right-click on the effect and choose "Create layer").

Flo

"Joe" wrote in message

J
Joe
Feb 19, 2005
Actually, I can’t even make your suggestion work. Can I trouble you for a step-by-step? 😀

Flo

"Joe" wrote in message

J
Joe
Feb 19, 2005
Nevermind, I just merged the layers.

"Joe" wrote in message
Actually, I can’t even make your suggestion work. Can I trouble you for a step-by-step? 😀

Flo

"Joe" wrote in message

FN
Flo Nelson
Feb 20, 2005
Yes, that’s the trick. Unfortunately this isn’t an editable effect, so I always do it as one of the last things.

flo

"Joe" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

Flo

"Joe" wrote in message

J
Joe
Feb 20, 2005
Thanks! You’ve been really helpful.

Yes, that’s the trick. Unfortunately this isn’t an editable effect, so I always do it as one of the last things.

flo

"Joe" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

Flo

"Joe" wrote in message

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections