Cannot choose CS3 Extended from My Pictures..Help!

TL
Posted By
Tim_Lingor
Dec 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts!
I have PS Elements 5, Lightroom and CS3 Extended on my computer. When in My Pictures, usually I can right click on a photo and "Open With" the program of my choice. However, when I do this, I only get the choice of Elements 5, and no LR or CS3. If I "Choose" the program, it sill will not allow me to choose LR or CS3.

Any ideas on how to fix this???

Thanks
Tim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
you would probably need to reset the associations in explorer> tools> folder options> file types.

another option is that in bridge, there’s a file type dialog under edit> preferences. check in there too…
TL
Tim_Lingor
Dec 21, 2007
Hi Dave,

How do I reset the associations? I found the Explorer – Folder Options- Files Types but I am lost after that point.

Any help woul dbe greatly appreciated! Thanks Dave!

Tim
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
go to whatever type you’re having problems with – jpg for example – and look at the menu options. there should be change or reset and advanced. you should be able to get any association problems cleared up from there.
TL
Tim_Lingor
Dec 21, 2007
Nope…that did not work either.

Here is what is happening, I will try to explain a little better.

When I have a jpeg open, I right click on the photo, hoping to "Open With" CS3. But when the choice is not there, I browse for it. I find the CS3, open it, and the menu comes back with Explorer Picture and Fax Viewer high-lighted and still no CS3 or LR.

I went in and reset all defaults and tried it again, and it still does not work.

I am decent with computers, but at this point, I am lost. How do I fix associations manually? Any examples?

Thanks for your help and patience.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
did you open up bridge and look in the preferences in there?
TL
Tim_Lingor
Dec 21, 2007
Yes I did. I reset the default.

When in Bridge, I looked at the File Associations, then Jpeg. I clicked on the exporer settings down arrow and once again, Elements is listed but not LR or CS3. So I browsed, selected CS3 and it then listed CS3.

Went into My Pictures, selected a Jpeg and tried to choose a program to open it with, and the same problem exists. CS3 and LR are not listed.

Any other ideas???

Thanks
Tim
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 21, 2007
In Windows Explorer Tools > Folder Options > File types gives you this:

<http://imageshack.us>

Normally you can set the application to open the file type by clicking "Change". If this is not available click "Restore". This may also be greyed out or missing, in which case click "Advanced".

You then get this:

<http://imageshack.us>

Click "New" and you can type in "Edit with" and browse to Photoshop.exe. This will then appear in the context menu.

The reason this is such a performance is because previous attempts to get it right have modified the registry. It was a lot easier with sys.ini!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
barring anything else, reinstalling the applications should do it. (from control panel, you should be able to do a repair install.) install the oldest app first and the newest app last.

choose custom as the installation type and you’ll get the file handling options.
TL
Tim_Lingor
Dec 21, 2007
Thanks John!

I followed your instructions. One point I need help with: after I create a new file type and call it Edit With, where do I browse to obtain the exe file?

I went into My Programs, Adobe, CS3, PS. After I did this however, it still does not appear on the open with screen in MY Pictures nor can I choose if after browsing.

Any other ideas? Thanks guys! This has been a real confusing experience.

Dave, I did try reintsalling LR and that did not work either?

Thanks for your patience!
Tim
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 21, 2007
I followed your instructions. One point I need help with: after I create a new file type and call it Edit With, where do I browse to obtain the exe file?

In that bottom dialog you are creating a new action to associate with the file type (eg JPG) you selected in the first dialog.

If you type "Edit with" in the top box, you can the click the Browse button and navigate to the Photoshop.exe file in the Adobe cs3 folder.

"Edit with Photoshop" will then appear in the right click menu for a JPG.
TL
Tim_Lingor
Dec 21, 2007
Thanks John, That worked for the opening a Jpeg with CS3. How do I do the same thing for LR?

Thanks again!!!!

Tim
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 21, 2007
One file type can only have one program open it: you can’t allocate "Open" to Photoshop and Lightroom. So create another action in that last dialog (eg "Preview") and browse to the LR .exe file to add it to the context menu.
TL
Tim_Lingor
Dec 22, 2007
Thanks John, I have it working for the CS3 and that was the most important one! I can also open LR now, but it has a problem as it says that it does not have a photo to import. So I will keep playing on that one.

Regardless, thanks again John and Dave for your help! 🙂

Tim
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 22, 2007
Glad it’s (more or less) OK now!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections