BS
Posted By
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Windows 98 and Photoshop Elements 1. After clicking "Save for Web" and optimizing an image, I click OK and the "Save Optimized As" window appears. I name the image and a destination folder, save as JPEG and then also check the HTML file. This creates two images in the destination folder, a JPEG and an HTML image. When building a web page using any web building software (and before previewing or publishing), which of these two images do I import into the web building software?
Thank you for your help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 9, 2004
HTML file is not an image.
It is the, well, HTML file 🙂
HyperText Markup Language.
Open it in text editor (or your webpage building proggie).

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 9, 2004
Thank you for your reply. I am still confused though. In the destination folder where the images are saved, if I click on the HTML "image" file an image is previewed in the left hand column. So the HTML IS an image file coded in HTML isn’t it? Anyway, I still do not know whether to import the image or the HTML coded image into my web building software. Can anyone tell me in clear language what to do?
Thanks,
Barbara
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
Barbara, I’m not very good at this, but I’ll tell you what I’ve done while using the old Adobe PageMill.

I create a new index page in PageMill and type in some kind of descriptive name for the gallery I want to access. Then, at the bottom of that page, there’s a spot I click that says "link to" – I hit that and scroll to the folder containing the index.htm created by the Web Photo Gallery, click on it, and it becomes the access point for the remainder of the gallery.

If this answer can’t be "translated" to your software, you’ll either have to tell us what software you’re using and hope someone else on the forum is familiar with it, or you’ll have to get help from a forum for the software itself. We’re kind of running blind with so little information.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 9, 2004
Barbara, you don’t "import" the HTML file into web software, you simply "open" it.
The HTML file, which should have an extension of .htm or .html, is a text file with HTML tags that describes how a page should look. And yes, if it calls for an image, opening the HTML file in a web browser will show the image also.

You probably need to do a little basic study on rudimentary HTML. And btw, you can open an .htm or .html file in any text editor, as it IS only ASCII text.

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 9, 2004
Thank you for your input guys…the problem is very specific! I do understand HTML and have added HTML fragments to the web pages I am building. The images I want to place on a web page I am building at the moment are INDIVIDUAL images that I have formatted in Photoshop. (I also have Photoshop-created web galleries but they open fine). So when Photoshop "saves an image for web" it creates a JPEG and an HTML version of the image at the same time. They both have the same name and sit side by side in the destination folder but the HTML version shows the blue Explorer icon while the JPEG shows the default image icon that my computer always uses for JPEGS and Bitmaps. When I want to place an image onto my web page and the web building software leads me to the folder in which the desired image resides, do I click on the blue Explorer version of the image or the default image icon? (At the moment I am using CoffeeCup VisualSite Designer, but this question has arisen with other web building software I have used).
Thanks,
Barbara
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 10, 2004
Barbara,

Whenever I use Save For Web, all I get is the JPG or GIF – never have seen PSE create the HTML file you describe.

The ONLY time I’ve seen HTML generated by SFW is when I’ve clicked "Preview In:" to have the image displayed in my browser before I commit the settings. But, in these cases, it’s a temporary file named "TargetPreview.html" in my windows\TEMP folder.

I have no answers, but thought I’d let you know that I was not able to duplicate the behavior you’re seeing.

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
Byron, the option is at the bottom of the save file screen after you click ‘OK’ to SFW.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
So when Photoshop "saves an image for web" it creates a JPEG and an HTML version of the image

Yes, PhotoShop does, but Elements does not.
Photoshop gives option of image/image&html/html only. Since Elements doesn’t have ImageReady, nor does it have Slice tool, it offers SFW as image only.
(You are posting in the Elements group,btw).

Also, if you "are familiar" with HTML, you should know that you of course select the IMAGE, not the HTML file, if your intent is to place an image into your existing HTML with your current web software proggy.

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 10, 2004
That is strange isn’t it? I know I’m not imagining those little blue "E"s….. Anybody have an idea as to what is going on?
Barbara
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 10, 2004
Hi, Jodi.

After I click OK to SFW, the "save as type" option has only 1 choice, for me… "Images Only (*.jpg)".

Byron
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
OP seems to be using full Photoshop.

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 10, 2004
Thank you Jodi…Yes, I have been checking the little HTML box on the save file screen. OK, so I’m not the only that has this. Let me ask the question another way. What is this "save an HTML version" option used for?
Barbara
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
Barb, I created my webpage in Notepad and though i checked the ‘ save HTML file’ option I did not add these files to my html text…I used them to get dimensions for images for quicker loading…but I ‘had’ to save the HTML file ’cause if i didn’t my images wouldn’t show up….just little red x’s in top left corner…go figure.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
I’m using PE1 and the setting is there.

Ah, must have done away with it in 2.
I suspect was reused Photoshop code in the dialog they didn’t clean up. Actually, the drop down box in the Save dialog in 2 is unnecessary also, since there is only the option to save the image.

My apologies to OP (Barbara) suggesting she was in wrong forum 🙂

Mac
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
I’m using PE1 and the setting is there.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
See my other post.
They’ve changed it in 2.

If you’ll LOOK at the HTML, I’m sure it simply calls for a blank page with the image inserted in it.

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 10, 2004
I AM using Elements Mac, and it does have the image and html option you mentioned. See Jodi’s posting of a few minutes ago…
Anyway, what is the HTML version used for? My knowledge of HTML does not go as far as to understand how we can use the HTML version of the image.
Barbara
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 10, 2004
OK Jodi now we are getting somewhere because when I formatted some images for a previous web site (in Elements 1)and did NOT check the HTML box my images didn’t appear on the final web pages either….just the little red crosses.
What happens in Elements 2 Mac? Is all the info. for the image combined? What does OP stand for? Other Person? Original Posting-person? Barbara
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
In 2, there is only the option to save the image itself.

Even in full photoshop, the option for HTML is not helpful UNLESS you have made image slices and want the HTML generated to put them all together.

A red x where an image should be means that the image is NOT where the HTML is calling for it from.

OP is simply Original Poster 🙂

At any rate best advise is simply forget the HTML part of Elements 1.

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 10, 2004
OK, thanks Mac, are you as Scottish as your name suggests? Me too…
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
OK, thanks Mac, are you as Scottish as your name suggests? Me too…

Yeppers…

Went over to de homeland once (Oban), met head of clan out at the castle, etc. I really like Scotland, very much like here in East Tennessee, except no trees. Well, and with an ocean, too, come to think of it. And giant sheep instead of cattle. And the accents, and ….

other than that, exactly the same 🙂

Mac
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 10, 2004
And the kilts? Do you have lots of kilts in East Tennessee? Aye the noo…
Bye bye. Ah must awah…
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
Stolarski, eh?
Funny, you don’t *sound* Scottish 🙂

Mac
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 10, 2004
A week next Sunday (January 25) is Robbie Burns night is anyone of to a dinner? I and my can will be hitting a place in Toronto called Allen’s it is a pub restaurant and we have been going there for years. Last year they had 12 pipers in the pub at one time … or was that the year before. I pity the man that hears the pipes and has never smelt the heather.

Grant -Sutherland – Dixon (Sept clan Keith)
BS
Barbara_Stolarski
Jan 11, 2004
As a possible last word on the use of the HTML image/document I just realised what it is for (I think). You can upload it directly to an existing web site on an FTP server. Am I right or is this rubbish?
Barbara
(Loved the Scottish sidebar by the way. Stolarski is my married name. No clan there. No Robbie Burns night here in either). Och aye.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 11, 2004
Mac,

Where in East Tennessee are you? The Knoxivlle area or the Tri-cities area, perhaps?

Dick
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 11, 2004
Heart of Knoxville, Dick.
Yerself?

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah, you could upload it, but it wouldn’t be much.

Mac
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
Mac,

about 15 miles south of Asheville, NC.

Dick
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 12, 2004
Jest across the holler then 🙂

Mac
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
Yep, just have to make it past the Pigeon River Gorge 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections