PS CS error message: Can’t save "(image name+file format) because of disk error.

MD
Posted By
Marti_de_Alva
Oct 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using PS CS 1, have a PowerMac running OS X3.9, 30 GB HD with 9.75 GB free space, 896 MB RAM. I have just downloaded the Adobe DNG converter, and am doing my first work on RAW files converted to the .dng in PS. Am impressed with the increased options for processing the files in 16 bits, and finished working on a file I wanted to save. When I tried to ‘save as’, renaming the file, putting it into a folder of saved images for a wedding shoot, I got an error message saying, "Could not save "(file name.image format name) because of a disk error." Since the file was still in a 16 bit format, I converted it to an 8 bit file, and tried saving again in several ways, including a simple ‘save’ command. No matter what I do, I get the same error message.

Hate to lose the work on this file, as it took considerable time. Anyone have some insights?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Oct 21, 2006
Can you save to an external drive?

I’d suggest running a diagnostic on the drive ASAP
GS
gail_seely
Feb 14, 2007
i’ve scanned a B&W photo image but it won’t save due to "disk error." Have tried different formats but no luck. I’ve been scanning in exactly this way for years and this a first. I’ve no idea what it means. It’s a rare photo of Willy Dixon so I’m very frustrated. Any advice?
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2007
Any advice?

Yes, what the post right before yours says:

Can you save to an external drive?

I’d suggest running a diagnostic on the drive ASAP
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007

9.75 GB free space, 896 MB RAM.

you have no disk space and very little RAM and you are working in 16bit. I’m not surprized.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections