Image file size changes dramatically after rotate and save.

GF
Posted By
Gordon_Fortune
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,
I have just rotated a 1.6mb file in photoshop
It was then saved. I chose quality 12 (highest) and it grew to a jpg of 2.6mb

whats happening there? is that interpolated?

saving at ten gives about 1.56mb or thereabouts.

‘b ‘ My question:
What’s best way to rotate a pic and save without touching the filesize up or down? Just a simple rotate and save – leaving the filesize unaffected.

(the reason i ask is if you have to rotate 100 images, it would cost 100mb in overhead.) Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 11, 2004
If you save the JPEG in Photoshop, it’ll include metadata that might increase the file size.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2004
I’ve been thinking about this. Conventional wisdom is, that when you perform a global operation on a JPG, then when you save, quality is reduces, albeit ever so slightly.

Saving at 12 makes any quality reduction almost moot, but the cost is file size.

So one route to TRY is to open the file, rotate it, save it with File|Save (not Save AS), and compare file size. If that works, you can create an action and batch the whole she-bang.

If there were a quality loss (smaller file size), one would have to evaluate if it is perceptible, I suppose.

I know that ACDSee has a JPG Rotate feature that rotates the image without decompressing/recompressing, and almost certainly IrfanView does (free), but I’m not sure how photoshop would treat this "global change" of a rotation upon saving.

Just my two cents…

Peace,
Tony
GF
Gordon_Fortune
Aug 11, 2004
I tried Irfanview for reference purposes to see was it particular to pshop.

Irfanview doubled the file! at least pshop was only puttin 1mb extra on.

I find it quite odd that any interference happens with such a small simple operation. I think the lesson is to backup photos from digital camera as taken off the card – with no editing whatsoever. That way you always have an untouched copy.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2004
backup photos from digital camera as taken off the card

Yep. Personally, I consider JPG a final output format only, not suitable for editing so, I always keep a separate set of originals in tiff format.

Peace,
Tony
LM
Lynch_Mike
Aug 11, 2004
Have you tried rotating the file using windows file browser? I don’t think that adds any size to the file.
And you can batch rotate too.

Have you tried saving to 12 without rotating?
I find that even when I don’t rotate a file, the file size increases if I save it with max quality. -Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections