Posted By
Selwyn_Silberblatt
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi:

I have hired someone to set up a website for me. Should I send them graphics in tif or jpg? Also, should I create clipping paths? I know that clipping paths increase file sizes.

Thanks. Selwyn

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
May 13, 2005
They will use .jpg on the website, but if they may need re-sizing etc. it is better to send TIFF as every time you save as jpg the image is degraded.

Clipping paths mean nothing on the web. In fact, transparency means very little. Only two web formats support any form of transparency, .GIF which supports a single level of transparency (just like a clipping path does) but is limited to 256 colours and PNG that supports 8-bit transparency and 24-bit colour. Unfortunately browser support for PNG is not universal and IE needs an activeX control (alphaimageloader) to display transparent PNGs
SS
Selwyn_Silberblatt
May 13, 2005
Clipping paths mean nothing on the web.

Thanks Len. I already have saved many images with cliping paths as I use them in Pagemaker. Should I delete the cliping paths and resave before I send them to the person who is making the website? I don’t want to burden them with unneccessary file size, and I know that the cliping path adds file size. Or are the extra K in the cliping path file irrelevant to them?

And – sorry to have so many questions – but it is my understanding that 72 dpi is ok for the web. Is this correct? (assuming that the physical size (in inches) is sufficient and the image won’t have to be resized upwards.

Thanks again.
Selwyn
L
LenHewitt
May 13, 2005
Selwyn,

PPI also means nothing on the web – all that matters is the number or horizontal and vertical pixels. One image pixel will be mapped to one screen pixel, so the final viewing size is entirely dependent upon the user’s monitor rez.

As to clipping paths, leaving them in would at least be an indication to the web designer what areas of the image you wished to show, and he could use them for creating selection areas for deletion of areas not required.
SS
Selwyn_Silberblatt
May 13, 2005
Thank you Len for taking the time and making the effort to help me. I appreciate it. (No "you’re wlecome" necessary as you have already made it clear that you are a thoughtful, considerate and polite person.)

Selwyn
LM
Lynch_Mike
May 13, 2005
You’re welcomes are our favorite part!
(Thanks Len!)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections