TS
Posted By
Timothy_Stevenson
May 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Windows XP Pro and Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. I email simple .pdf slideshows all of the time by selecting the photos I want to use, then clicking on the "Share" Tab and selecting "Email." This feature is really easy to use and very quick. My problem is that PSE3 remembers the path that I used the very first time I made a slideshow (which was to a flash Drive) and I cannot change the path. I have tried to figure out how to change this on my own, but I’m either not looking in the right place or something may be wrong with my program/settings.
I had thought that using the "Edit" drop-down menu and then "Preferences" might allow me to change the settings, however When I select any of the preferences options, a little window appears in the center of my screen which says "Loading" and the program stops responding. Under task manager it says that my CPU usage is 100% and that the program is not responding.
I also have an issue with Adobe Help. If I try to use Help, it appears to be working…A program placeholder appears in my task bar, but it doesn’t do anything.
I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys might be able to offer. Tim Stevenson

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 9, 2005
Tim,

Your Help question first. Right click Help in the task bar and click either maximize or restore (can’t remember which). That should bring it up. Then, if yours behaves the way mine does don’t ever close Elements with Help minimized or you will have to do it again.

Two things to try to get Preferences to behave:

1. Reset Preferences. With Elements closed go to Documents and Settings\ [user] \Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements (where [user] is replaced with your user name. Rename the folder 3.0 to 3.0.old. Then start Elements and the Preferences will be rebuilt. to their default.

2. If 1 doesn’t solve it try this:

Jim Jütte, "Services cause Poor Performance, Lost devices, Hangs, etc (Win)." #, 30 Mar 2005 8:49 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

You are correct that you can control the save location for email files through the Organizer preferences.

If nothing works come back and let someone else try.

Bob
TS
Timothy_Stevenson
May 9, 2005
Bob,
You are awesome my Friend! I don’t know why, but renaming the 3.0 folder to 3.0.old fixed the problem. Now, when I launch the Organizer I can actually edit my preferences. It doesn’t free up anymore. Also, The Help fix you gave me also worked. I will have to play with help to learn more about how to use it. I would have never guessed that I would have to right click and select maximize. I kept trying to double click it.
I can’t tell you how happy I am right now. It may be really lame, it was a simple fix, but it really bothers me when things don’t work like they are supposed to. I called Adobe Tech Support and you guessed it, they knew the fix, but it would have cost me for them to tell me exactly what you told me for free. To their credit, they (the Tech support people) did suggest that I try asking in the forum.
I have a few simple questions regarding what to do now… Should I leave the 3.0.old folder named the way it is? Should I change it? Or, will it change itself?
Thanks again Bob, you were a great help!
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 10, 2005
Tim,

Glad both problems got working. This is a great forum and everything I passed on I learned right here from someone else.

All versions of Elements have a tendency to get their Preferences corrupted and require a reset occasionally. The timing of using Shift/Ctrl/Alt on launch is tricky so the renaming approach, and forcing elements to rebuild since it can’t find the folder, accomplishes the same thing.

Now that things are working again you can delete 3.0.old. A better option is to back up the folder 3.0 while things are working the way you want them since everything returns to the default when you rename. (eg. You probably have assigned a folder for your saved email files and would probably like to continue that way.)

What I do is copy 3.0 somewhere (after I have set my preferences the way I want them) and when a problem occurs I delete the current 3.0 and replace it with my back up copy. Accomplishes the same thing as rename but keeps my Elements the way I want it.

The Help glitch is definitely a bug but at least there is a way around it.

Stick around. There are a lot of really good people here.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections