How to create an action that resizes file then renames file then "save for web"?

P
Posted By
PWalker
Feb 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me.

I am using Photoshop v7.

I have a bunchof pictures that I want to publish on the web. I am trying to create thumbnails (which when clicked open up a window with the actual sized picture). I want to:

… given a picture called zzz.jpg I want to

1. resize the picture
2. choose "save for web" as this creates really compact images for web publishing
3. I want the file renamed as zzz_small.jpg

Now I want to do this for around 100 or more pictures. I have tried setting up an "Action" and have successfully been able to do steps 1 and 3. But the images are still too large (around 50 kb). I have noticed that if i manually resize and "save for web", it creates a smaller image file (around 5 kb).

Can someone tell me how to incorporate "save for web" in addition to renaming the file as zzz_small.jpg for several hundred files in photoshop?

Many thanks!

Peter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

M2
Michael 23
Feb 23, 2005
I’ll make you a trade –

for you: to insert "save for web"… in your actions palette, click the little black arrow at the top right,
choose "insert menu item", then select file>save for web (this is one way)

for me: how do you add to the filename using an action, without renaming the picture altogether?
I have tried this, but was only able to change the name of all files to whatever name I recorded in the action,
which is useless. Is there a way to just modify the filename of a whole batch, like adding "_small" to the end of all of them?

If so, please tell me how you did it!

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

"PWalker" wrote in message

I am using Photoshop v7.

I have a bunchof pictures that I want to publish on the web. I am trying to create thumbnails (which when clicked open up a window with the actual sized picture). I want to:

.. given a picture called zzz.jpg I want to

1. resize the picture
2. choose "save for web" as this creates really compact images for web publishing

Now I want to do this for around 100 or more pictures. I have tried setting up an "Action" and have successfully been able to do steps 1 and
3. But the images are still too large (around 50 kb). I have noticed that
if i manually resize and "save for web", it creates a smaller image file (around 5 kb).

Can someone tell me how to incorporate "save for web" in addition to renaming the file as zzz_small.jpg for several hundred files in photoshop?
Many thanks!

Peter
PK
Petr Kohutek
Feb 24, 2005
A possible workaround:

Save to another directory and then use the rename tool.
Batch Rename is part of PhotoShop CS, however I prefer to use batch rename in ACDSee or in Total Commander (both Windows).
Petr

"Michael 23" wrote in message
I’ll make you a trade –

for you: to insert "save for web"… in your actions palette, click the little black arrow at the top right,
for me: how do you add to the filename using an action, without renaming the picture altogether?
I have tried this, but was only able to change the name of all files to whatever name I recorded in the action,
which is useless. Is there a way to just modify the filename of a whole batch, like adding "_small" to the end of all of them?

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

I am using Photoshop v7.

1. resize the picture

Now I want to do this for around 100 or more pictures. I have tried setting up an "Action" and have successfully been able to do steps 1 and
if i manually resize and "save for web", it creates a smaller image file (around 5 kb).

Many thanks!

Peter

P
PWalker
Feb 24, 2005
Hi thanks for that. I actually tried adding the "save for web" prior to posting here for help. It worked. The only problem im having is combining a "Save for web" with a file rename… that has got me stuck.

Ok to do a file rename do the following:

1. File>Automate>Batch
2. select your action in the "Action" field
3. Set the "Destination" field to "Folder"
4. here youll see a number of dropdown boxes appear in the ‘File Naming’
section. If you want to rename all your files zzz.jpg to zzzz_small.jpg then just select the following:

a. in the 1st drop down box select "Document name"
b. in the 2nd dropdown box type in "_small"
c. in the 3rd dropdown box select "extension"

Hence all your files will be renamed to: "Document Name_small.extension"

If you find out how to combine "save for web" and file renaming please let me know!

Cheers,
Peter

"
Michael 23" wrote in message
I’ll make you a trade –

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

I am using Photoshop v7.

1. resize the picture

Many thanks!

Peter

P
PWalker
Feb 24, 2005
Hi, thanks for the reply.

So what you suggest is once ive done my "resize" and "save for web" which is contained within a single action script, I would then go to File>Automate>Batch, hence reopening the Batch dialog. And within id set it up such that source = destination… and ‘File Naming’ set to "Document Name" + "_small" + "extension" ?

Many thanks!

cheers,
peter

"Petr Kohutek" wrote in message
A possible workaround:

Save to another directory and then use the rename tool.
Batch Rename is part of PhotoShop CS, however I prefer to use batch rename in ACDSee or in Total Commander (both Windows).
Petr

"Michael 23" wrote in message
I’ll make you a trade –

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

I am using Photoshop v7.

1. resize the picture

3. But the images are still too large (around 50 kb). I have noticed
that if i manually resize and "save for web", it creates a smaller image file (around 5 kb).

Many thanks!

Peter

M2
Michael 23
Feb 24, 2005
Great!
Y’know, I have never paid any attention to the renaming in CS, didn’t realize it packs more punch than the older versions in this area…

But perhaps you will have to run 2 actions to get what you are after – still better than doing them one at a time.

Thanks for the tips!

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

Hi thanks for that. I actually tried adding the "save for web" prior to posting here for help. It worked. The only problem im having is combining a "Save for web" with a file rename… that has got me stuck.
Ok to do a file rename do the following:

1. File>Automate>Batch
2. select your action in the "Action" field
3. Set the "Destination" field to "Folder"
4. here youll see a number of dropdown boxes appear in the ‘File Naming’
section. If you want to rename all your files zzz.jpg to zzzz_small.jpg then just select the following:

a. in the 1st drop down box select "Document name"
b. in the 2nd dropdown box type in "_small"
c. in the 3rd dropdown box select "extension"

Hence all your files will be renamed to: "Document Name_small.extension"
If you find out how to combine "save for web" and file renaming please let me know!

Cheers,
Peter

"
Michael 23" wrote in message
I’ll make you a trade –

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

I am using Photoshop v7.

1. resize the picture

3. But the images are still too large (around 50 kb). I have noticed
that if i manually resize and "save for web", it creates a smaller image file (around 5 kb).

Many thanks!

Peter

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections