What are the updating bars at startup indicating or doing ???

GS
Posted By
Gordon_Smitheman
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I start Photoshop Elements often a window appears and nothing happens for a while. Then a bar runs across the window the window disappears and things continue as normal.

I always assumed updates were occurring and waited. Recently I had problems and thought reinstalling would solve them. I figured I would have to wait while Elements brought itself up to date (like Norton Antivirus or Microsoft updates).

That did not happen so I clicked on check for updates and it told me there were none.

When I think back to all the times I sat there waiting I was frustrated and prompted to ask these questions.

What is occurring when the apparent update window is on the screen? Can I stop it from happening and manually check when I want to do so?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
I can’t envision or explain exactly what’s happening, but it is tied to updates. The automatic feature can be turned off by going to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online. Set the frequency to Never. You’ll be much happier and won’t miss a thing! 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 19, 2003
Beth,

It’s simply a progress bar that indicates how the update process is going.

But, as you point out….disable it then no problems.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
OK, Dick, so can you tell I’ve never had the auto update feature on?! I was just thinking back on the other posts I’ve seen on this subject. 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 19, 2003
I disabled mine when I first loaded it. But, some of the PC’s in the lab where I teach have not been disabled and I see it from time to time, fortunately it has caused not problems there.

I have to remember to tell the techs when they re-ghost the lab in January to change that setting. The lab PC’s are not modifiable by mere mortals. 😉

Dick
B
BobHill
Dec 19, 2003
When loading Elements, it’s not only checking for updates on your Preference schedule, it’s loading your fonts and other items set in preferences. That’s what takes the inital launching time.

Bob
GS
Gordon_Smitheman
Dec 19, 2003
Thanks to everyone for your responses – Happy Holidays

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections