JV
Posted By
Jon_Vahsholtz
Aug 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop CS2 and recently installed it on my new Vista system. During normal use, I log in to Windows as a non-administrator, as recommended for security purposes.

Each time I launch Photoshop, it wants to check for updates, and asks for administrator privileges to do so. This is very annoying, first because I then have to enter my password for the admin account each time, and second because I don’t need to check for updates every single time I run the program.

I can instruct Windows to run photoshop.exe as an administrator each time it runs, which fixes the annoying problem of it checking for updates, but it still means I have to enter my administrator password each time I want to run Photoshop. Surely there is a good solution to this problem? I’d be happy if I could just instruct Photoshop once and for all "do not check for updates". I have this option set and it seems to work when I run it as an administrator but when I run it as a non-privileged user, it still insists on checking for updates.

Help?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Aug 24, 2008
Are you in an environment where other people might mess with your computer?
CF
chris_farrell
Aug 25, 2008
?…log in as an administrator?
F
Freeagent
Aug 25, 2008
f I could just instruct Photoshop once and for all to "do not check for updates"

But that should be doable? In CS3 you start the updater in the Help menu, and when it’s up, you can turn it off permanently via a preferences button. I can’t recall how it worked in CS2, but there must be something similar.

During normal use, I log in to Windows as a non-administrator, as recommended for security purposes.

It’s hard to see the rationale for this, unless you’re really paranoid about malware. It’s a jungle out there, but it’s not all that bad yet, so if it’s internet security you’re talking about there’s no need for that. It sounds like a manual UAC.
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
Turn off the updater.

It’s been notoriously buggy, and if you’re currently up-to-date, you don’t need it to be running. If you even sleepily pay attention to what’s going on in the world of Adobe and Photoshop, you should become aware of updates when they become available.

Better to go get and install them manually, rather than let your computer make that decision for you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections