Posted By
Tel
Dec 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Long winded but I do get to the question in the end 🙂

I’ve been trying to get my monitor and printouts to agree. After first succeeding without colour management I decided to change to full colour management in order to be able to make use of professional printer which specifies and supplies a colour profile.
Now I have to get it right again.

My camera produces files with embedded Adobe RGB and the monitor is calibrated with Apples built in display calibrator, the judge by eye variety. Right, I’m on a Mac.
So far so good the colours agree in the correct lighting of 5000K although I have to set the monitor to 9300K to see them the same. This is contrary to the commercial printer’s specification of setting the monitor to 5000K – is this going to cause me problems?

The difference I have left is in that the printout is darker than on the screen. My printer is a Lexmark Z65 which seems fine on all other points except this. Black is black, however and white is white.

Could it be due to the difference between the Mac standard gamma of 1.8 and the PC standard of 2.2? Could the Lexmark be using a PC standard gamma in a Mac printer driver?
And why is there a difference in gamma settings between the two systems?

Tel.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 11, 2003
Tel, what kind of monitor do you have? An LCD should be set to 2.2 or thereabouts (the "pc" setting) regardless of your OS.

Have you checked the ink settings on your printer? With my HP, my prints were always over-inked and hence dark, unless I set the ink useage down a notch.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
There’s one person on the forum who has provided some explanations about this before, but I haven’t seen many posts from her during the last couple of days. Hopefully she’ll see this one and weigh in. In the meantime:

Have you tried changing the gamma to see if there’s an improvement? And are you using an Apple monitor or a third party brand? What OS are you running?

Edit: Ah! She was lurking and found this! Hi Barbara!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 11, 2003
Hi, Beth, not lurking–just a harpist in December. 8^)
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
Oh, yes. This is the month that conjures up images of angels, isn’t it? 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections