LS
Posted By
Leonard_Schweitzer
Jun 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m thinking of buying a Mac laptop for burning images on DVDs in the field. Can I use these DVDs to do my Photoshop editing on a PC desktop?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 18, 2004
Yes, if you have a DVD reader on your Win machine. Burn to ISO 9660 format. (I think that’s the default in OS X these days, anyway.)

=-= Harron =-=
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 18, 2004
I thought iso9660 was for cds. do dvd’s adhere to this standard too? i’d think it’d be different…?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 18, 2004
Right you are, Dave. I engaged fingers before brain.

DVDs use the newer UDF (Universal Disk Format) file system or the UDF Bridge format, which is a hybrid of UDF and ISO 9660.

Some CD/DVD burning software, such as Ahead Nero for Win, will let you select ISO 9660 — in addition to UDF and UDF Bridge — for DVDs.

I just quickly checked CD Toast on a Mac, and it seems UDF is, indeed, the only choice for burning a DVD. I haven’t checked, but I would bet OS X’s built-in burning capability creates UDF data DVDs.

This is all good news for cross-platform stuff. UDF disks should be no problem on Win 98 and newer.

=-= Harron =-=
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 18, 2004
lucky guess harron. i don’t have a dvd burner yet. just an understanding of how the geeks (raising hand) like to compartmentalize their specs made me wonder about it. 🙂
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 18, 2004
All of which made me forget to add this:

Leonard, unless you want to offload images to DVDs to free up hard drive space on your laptop or you want to make immediate backups (so that you’ll have your images regardless of what happens to your laptop in the field), you might want to consider other methods of transferring those files from your laptop to your desktop.

A network transfer, for example, would be more time and cost efficient.

=-= Harron =-=

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections