MW
Posted By
Mari_Wolf
Sep 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently switched from PC to Mac and have the same Adobe Photoshop CS2. I cannot seem to find filters I used often with my PC. For example, the texture and render filters are nowhere to be found. I used the "grain" filter and the "lighting" filters a lot and I’m scratching my head trying to find them on my Mac. Is this a common problem? Adobe support told me they should be exactly the same. Any point in the right direction will be appreciated. Thanks.
M. Wolf

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Sep 18, 2006
Mari,

Did you by any chance move the Photoshop application icon out of its folder, or the Photoshop folder out of the root level Applications folder?

That would have been a very bad idea, and it would have caused some filters not to be seen by Photoshop (among other problems).
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 18, 2006
Thank you, Ramon! Yes, I did move the icon to my desktop right after I installed the software. Is there a way, that you know of, to fix this problem? Surely, it can’t be as easy as removing the icon from my desktop…is it?

Mari
R
Ram
Sep 18, 2006
Mari, Mari, Mari…

Put that Photoshop icon right back in its folder ASAP, and make sure the folder itself is inside the root Applications folder.

NEVER do that again.

You can keep an "alias" ("shortcut" in Windoze terms) of the icon on your desktop (or in the dock) if you want.
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 18, 2006
Ramon,

I didn’t know!! I put the icon back in the folder and restarted my computer. Of course, now when I go to open Photoshop, it "closes unexpectedly". I opened my HD and put the icon back in the Photoshop folder. When I opened the folder, the icon looked like it was where it belonged. Am I still doing something wrong?
R
Ram
Sep 18, 2006
Quit Photoshop.

Trash your Photoshop preferences.

Repair Permissions with Apple’s Disk Utility.

If that does not help, you may have to reinstall.

Make sure the Photoshop folder is where it belongs too.
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 18, 2006
Ramon,
Of course, you know what the next question is…what? I quit Photoshop and went into Disk Utility, but not sure what I’m looking for. Sorry, I know you didn’t expect this to be so diffficult for me, but you know what…I’ll never do that again!
Mari
R
Ram
Sep 18, 2006
In Disk Utility, select your hard drive. Click on the Repair Permissions button and wait patiently until it finishes Repairing Permissions.
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 18, 2006
Ramon,
Thanks for all your help. I just got off the phone with Mac support and they walked me through the steps, but it still didn’t work. It looks like I will have to uninstall Photoshop and start all over. The strange thing…Photoshop works when it’s on my desktop. They couldn’t explain that one. Anyway, I appreciate the communication and support.
Mari
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 18, 2006
Ramon,
I finished reinstalling Photoshop and it still closes unexpectedly. Is this an Adobe problem, or a Mac problem? I’m pulling my hair out!
Mari
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2006
How have you set the RAM allocation in Photoshop Prefs.?
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 19, 2006
Ann,
Thanks for adding some light to my "dark place". I have gone through the Photoshop preferences, but I don’t see an area for RAM allocation. I can only get to that field when I access Photoshop from my desktop. I know I was told not to do that, but the application closes before Photoshop appears at the top tool bar. I’m thinking I might not have all the perference options I should. Apple Care was trying to walk me through Photoshop Preferences, too, but nothing worked. Thanks for your help. I wonder if I have a bad set up disk. However, Adobe Photo Ready and Adobe Raw open just fine from the application folder. I’m at a loss!
Mari
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
Mari:

I think that will now need to trash ALL of your Photoshop Prefs.; and the Photoshop CS2 Application folder; and empty the Trash.

Then use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions.

Then reboot and re-install Photoshop CS2 from the DVD.

Then use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions — AGAIN.
R
Ram
Sep 19, 2006
Mari,

If you reinstall Photoshop WITHOUT first trashing all the Photoshop preferences files, you end right back where you started.

Photoshop works when it’s on my desktop.

"Works" but can’t find some filters. :/ That’s not my definition of "works", Mari.

By taking the Photoshop icon out of its folder, you forced it to write the messed up preferences the first time you quit. Photoshop writes its preferences when it quits.

Now you need to trash ALL your preferences files as per the following tech doc:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331483.html>

Then Repair Permissions AGAIN.

Reinstall Photoshop, then Repair Permissions ONCE AGAIN.
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 20, 2006
After talking with Apple, it seems to be a problem with the Rosetta program they use to help the Intel chip talk to the software. I updated my OS X, but still have the problem. Any opinions on this "Rosetta" problem?
C
Cindy
Sep 20, 2006
I dont think you are listening Mari. It is not Rosetta. Go back and read post #13 carefully. You need to make sure all prefs are deleted before re-installing Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
Any opinions on this "Rosetta" problem?

Many people ARE managing to run Photoshop on MacIntels through Rosetta so I think that your problem is that you have a bad installation of Photoshop and possibly a damaged OSX System as well.

I suggest, again, that you need to trash ALL parts of Photoshop and empty the Trash.

Then run DiskWarrior.

Then do an Archive and Install from your original OSX CD; followed by running Repair Permissions. Do NOT use the "Upgrade" option.

Then download the latest Apple COMBO updater for your Intel machine and Install that from your Desktop. Do NOT use "Software Upgrade"

Repair Permissions again.

Now install Photoshop CS2 and, this time, leave everything EXACTLY where it was installed. Then Repair Permissions AGAIN.

You will still be running through Rosetta (and will be until CS3 is issued next summer) but you should be able to run Photoshop reasonably well.
MW
Mari_Wolf
Sep 23, 2006
Thank you, everyone. I know it was frustrating trying to get your suggestings across, but the probem was easier to fix than I thought.

The reason Photoshop crashed in the first place was because of my scanner. The TWAIN code used in the setup disk for the scanner was old and Photoshop CS2 did not recognize the code and, therefore, would not open. Once I trashed the scanner application, Photoshop CS2 opened up perfectly with all the filters. By going to the scanner manufacturers website, I was able to download the updated drivers for OSX and everything works the way it is supposed to. Thank you all for your help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections