Photoshop CS Speed Issues Mac vs. PC (a problem not comparison)

M
Posted By
manrilla
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First off, this is not a PC vs. Mac bashing or war. I have both a Mac and a PC. My question
is this:

I recently did a job where there was some standard batch renaming/appending metadata
and building of Web galleries. I am curious as to why my Mac (as well as two others from
two different shooters) had such a hard time with doing these processes. When I attempted to build a Web gallery of about 800 images, my Mac took FOREVER to accomplish this task. My machine is a 533MHz dual-processor G4 with 1.5GB RAM. My PC
is a Dell laptop with a 1.4GHz single processor Centrino chip with 512MB RAM. When it
came to appending metadata and building Web galleries it took my PC almost no time at
all to do this.

I am curious if anyone has experienced this and if anyone knows why. I am running
Photoshop CS with the File Browser running with low quality preview. It seems to me that
something’s not quite right. Thoughts? Feedback? Thanks.

Marc Manley – Photographer+Digital Assistant
www.marcmanleyphoto.com

805-450-0275

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Aug 16, 2004
My machine is a 533MHz dual-processor G4

Aside from the fact that your computer is not that new and no so fast, what exact version of OS X were you using? What was the maximum % of available RAM allowed for Photoshop to use? Details about your hard drives, scratch disks are totally absent too.

First off, this is not a PC vs. Mac bashing or war.

Yeah, right.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 16, 2004
Sounds like we need Chris Cox to stop by for a minute or two…

Neil
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 17, 2004
I have no idea why it would be so slow.

My first guess would be a difference in disk speed, fragmentation, etc.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 17, 2004
Your mac is old… when was it bought? 2years ago? The centrino is the newest technology from Intel (well, it is based on the Pentium!!! but on some occasions beats faster Pentium IV)

So the disks in the mac are slow, it memory is slow, the processor is slow… following current standards… While the Centrino has maybe DDR memory, modern hard drives, etc… there also sits the difference in speed.

I’d compare the Centrino with a current portable Mac to be able to say which one is faster.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections