C
Posted By
CreativeIndulgence
Apr 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone – need some quick help here please.

I have a friend on a Mac running CS2, trying to take a folder of TIFFs, and do a “Save As” to create JPGs.

1. For a single file, he opens the TIFF, hits File/Save As.
2. He selects JPG from the format dropdown
3. He sees that the predicted file size in the Size part of the dialog looks right
4. He actually saves the file
5. He goes to the folder where the JPG was created, and there’s the JPG.
6. PROBLEM: The JPG file size is exactly the same as the original TIFF.
7. This happens no matter what JPG quality he selects. Different quality values change (appropriately) the predicted file size, but the end result is always the same.
8. On the PC, the dialog’s the same, but you actually get a JPG that’s far far smaller (so it really is compressed). And predicted file size matches the actual size of the JPG that gets created.

Any Mac gurus out there that know what’s going on, and what the answer is?

We don’t want to use Save For Web for huge number of reasons (including the loss of metadata, color profiles, resolution, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your quick help!
Jerry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
J_Maloney
Apr 7, 2008
What about PSD, Jerry? Same size too?

J
C
CreativeIndulgence
Apr 7, 2008
Hi J –

Haven’t tried saving to PSD format (hadn’t occurred to me to have him try)…

Can there be any thing in the Prefs (or machine settings) to cause this? Another friend on a Mac has Save As (JPG) working as expected.

Thanks,
Jerry
C
CreativeIndulgence
Apr 7, 2008
Hi again –

My friend saved a TIFF as PSD. Again same exact size as the TIFF. Very weird. Sounds like it may <somehow> be something with his Mac, but haven’t a clue how that could be.

Thanks,
Jerry
JP
jean_p
Apr 7, 2008
If you are accustomed to Windows, you know that the explorer view can sometimes give you incorrect information for a list of files. I’ve seen this a lot on Windows with thumbnail images that do not update properly.

The Mac Finder does the same thing, and i see the after effect the most with incorrect file size listings.

On Windows, you can refresh the view to bring everything up to date.

Mac has no refresh view, and it is an annoying omission on an otherwise very well designed user experience.

try selecting one of the individual images, type command-I (Get Info) and see what the size reported there is. If that is a more accurate size for a jpeg, then you are seeing the issue I describe.

the Mac OS, at least up til 10.4.11, lacks a refresh view feature, but you can get a free utility to do this for you, called Nudge. Check VersionTracker to find the download.
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2008
What Get Info in the Finder shows you is the size of the file on disk.

What you see inside Photoshop is the size of the uncompressed image in memory.

Apples and oranges.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections