Opening PC (PSD) files in MAC (and vice versa)

S
Posted By
Smurfy
Dec 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What happens when you open PC (PSD) file in MAC, or vice-versa?

Is all the formatting lost?

What about Illustrator and InDesign files?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
Fred
Dec 11, 2008

I’ve opened mac-made psd and ai-files on my pc.
My friend has opened mine on his mac.
Both without any problems, nothing’s lost.
Haven’t tried Indesign, but I suspect this would work flawlessly too.
K
KatWoman
Dec 11, 2008
"Fred" wrote in message

once you are in PS all is equal

the only MAC incompatibility I ever experienced was due to CD written in wrong characters for windows
and my Mac friend sends badly named files frequently
she named them like kidpic.zip.copy

renaming the file fixed it

Mac files come in two parts
a second file will be named identical and seems to be there but it is a file tag for Mac that does not show any image under Windows
S
Smurfy
Dec 11, 2008
"Fred" wrote in message

When you say flawlessly, you mean a MAC and a PC can correct eachother’s work on the same file (over a local network)?

That seems almost too good to be true.
J
jjs
Dec 11, 2008
"Evan Deez" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in message

When you say flawlessly, you mean a MAC and a PC can correct eachother’s work on the same file (over a local network)?

It is true. I do it daily from both platforms.
BR
Bream Rockmetteller
Dec 11, 2008
On 2008-12-11 11:09:08 -0800, "John J" said:

"Evan Deez" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in message

It is true. I do it daily from both platforms.

The only problems I’ve had are with fonts. Sometimes the font names will be different under Wndows versus Mac OS. The worst was when I had to use a PostScript font for PageMaker on a PC, but had OpenType fonts on the Mac. All-in-all, that’s a minor problem as all of the Adobe programs will tag the missing fonts and let you easily fix them. If you’ve got identical fonts on both platforms everything works just fine. Now if we could only get Frame Maker for the Mac again… —
Bream Rockmetteler
Donaldson’s Dog Joy
509-540-0301
G
gowanoh
Dec 11, 2008
Photoshop is Photoshop under Windows and Macs.
Use is identical except for arbitrary differences in the names of keys and imaginary differences in color management.
CS4 has small but significant differences between the Mac and Windows. There is no coherent 64 bit development kit for the Mac OS and so no 64 bit CS4. No great loss, nor is use of the GPU (brand new Macs still ship with the obsolete ATI 2600 video card with primitive drivers compared to Windows versions).
The Mac gets "16 bit" files sent directly to the printer driver in CS4. However the printer driver is 8 bit and will arbitrarily strip out color data which the user has only imagined he or she saw anyway as Imacs and Mac notebooks use the lowest quality 6 bit LCD panels available, which is what most consumer grade Windows panels also use.
J
jjs
Dec 11, 2008
"trouble" wrote in message

Almost. The interface does not behave exactly the same. At least on mine! For example, in the Mac version (CS#) the layer mode window cannot be highlighted to allow one to up/down arrow through the modes.

[… snip …]
Good post. Thanks for the extra info.
K
KatWoman
Dec 12, 2008
"John J" wrote in message
"trouble" wrote in message

Almost. The interface does not behave exactly the same. At least on mine! For example, in the Mac version (CS#) the layer mode window cannot be highlighted to allow one to up/down arrow through the modes.

is that a mouse/scroll OS function?

[… snip …]
Good post. Thanks for the extra info.
T
toby
Dec 12, 2008
On Dec 11, 1:51 pm, "Evan Deez" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

Why should it be? Most of the source code is the same.

The only bad news, in this scenario, is that Windows is somewhere in it.
J
jjs
Dec 12, 2008
"KatWoman" wrote in message

I can find no such control in Mac V10.5.5 (Server), but that doesn’t mean it’s not there somewhere. Any tips would be appreciated – please test them first to be sure they work on your system (speaking to the group in general, not you, Kat).

I should clarify: on the PC I can highlight the layer mode, then move through them using the arrow keys, _and the mode actually changes_. On the Mac it does not. It is very handy as one tries different modes – it saves a lot of clicking. But it doesn’t work.
F
Fred
Dec 12, 2008
"KatWoman" wrote in message

I can find no such control in Mac V10.5.5 (Server), but that doesn’t mean it’s not there somewhere. Any tips would be appreciated – please test them first to be sure they work on your system (speaking to the group in general, not you, Kat).

I should clarify: on the PC I can highlight the layer mode, then move through them using the arrow keys, _and the mode actually changes_. On the Mac it does not. It is very handy as one tries different modes – it saves a lot of clicking. But it doesn’t work.

Sorry, cannot confirm this, I have no mac, but try this:

select the move-tool (first on the top of the toolpalette) and push shift and plus or minus on the numpad.
In windows, this moves you through the blendmodes.
J
jjs
Dec 12, 2008
"Fred" wrote in message

select the move-tool (first on the top of the toolpalette) and push shift and plus or minus on the numpad.

Fred, you are the MAN! Silly me! Yes, that works on the Mac. I think this is a case of me having a bad habit that worked.

I owe you!
You made my weekend!

John
K
KatWoman
Dec 12, 2008
"Fred" wrote in message

Fred, you are the MAN! Silly me! Yes, that works on the Mac. I think this is a case of me having a bad habit that worked.
I owe you!
You made my weekend!

John
good to know
couple times I had to work on Mac and got frustrated by different controls

windows is more easy
I just use the mouse wheel
it is set to scroll by default inthe mouse driver and works same in every program
F
Fred
Dec 13, 2008
I owe you!

Not at all.

You made my weekend!

Have a good one!

Fred

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections