RG
Posted By
Randy Green
Jan 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, I don’t want to start a riot, but Im a longtime Windows user/photographer who is tired of how Windows slows down over time (especially with Photoshop’s cache fragmenting the files). From my observations, Macs don’t do this. I know that Linux on my unit never slows down.

So is there anyone in the group who have switched to Mac from Windows units and have any encouragement about springing for one of the biggie dual processor units in the OS X world??

Randy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jeffc
Jan 6, 2005
I have Mac and PC and SGI Unix. I like all three for specific tasks. As an artist, I love my mac. You’ll get a lot of replies on this topic, but I think if you could condense all the top steam it would come down to "Mac is the artist’s machine".

I also love the interface. It is the computer you would design if you could. The PC has its place, but getting around on it it harder than it needs to be. I had a hard working Mac Quadra that was TEN (10) years old before I replaced it. Can’t say that about any pc.

My 2 cents,
Sterling

Randy Green wrote:

OK, I don’t want to start a riot, but Im a longtime Windows user/photographer who is tired of how Windows slows down over time (especially with Photoshop’s cache fragmenting the files). From my observations, Macs don’t do this. I know that Linux on my unit never slows down.

So is there anyone in the group who have switched to Mac from Windows units and have any encouragement about springing for one of the biggie dual processor units in the OS X world??

Randy
RG
Randy Green
Jan 7, 2005
Sterling —

How does the speed of, say, Photoshop compare between the two? Although my
3.06 Ghz Intel machine with hyperthreading is about as fast as they get, I
have found that since I use it for many other things & therefore have lots of programs installed, it seriously bogs down when doing heavy PS work, like with 16bit files from my Canon D1s.

Randy

Sterling wrote:

I have Mac and PC and SGI Unix. I like all three for specific tasks. As an artist, I love my mac. You’ll get a lot of replies on this topic, but I think if you could condense all the top steam it would come down to "Mac is the artist’s machine".

I also love the interface. It is the computer you would design if you could. The PC has its place, but getting around on it it harder than it needs to be. I had a hard working Mac Quadra that was TEN (10) years old before I replaced it. Can’t say that about any pc.

My 2 cents,
Sterling

Randy Green wrote:

Randy
J
jeffc
Jan 8, 2005
At the risk of getting seriously flamed:
I find that it is very difficult to compare the pc and mac on speeds. I do know that I can bring up a huge file on a mac (in PS) and work it just fine whereas on a so called "faster" pc, the same image will bog down.

I would suggest you get a really big file that you know how it feels on your PC. Burn it to CD and take it over to an Apple store. Load it up on a mac and feel the difference for yourself. The Apple stores are very friendly places – check out http://www.apple.com/switch/buy/ to see if there is one near you. Or if not, try to find a friend or a friend-of-a-friend who will let you try it.

Randy Green wrote:
Sterling —

How does the speed of, say, Photoshop compare between the two? Although my
3.06 Ghz Intel machine with hyperthreading is about as fast as they get, I
have found that since I use it for many other things & therefore have lots of programs installed, it seriously bogs down when doing heavy PS work, like with 16bit files from my Canon D1s.

Randy

Sterling wrote:

My 2 cents,
Sterling

Randy Green wrote:

Randy

BC
Bill Crocker
Feb 5, 2005
Randy Green wrote:

Randy

I switched from an Intel P4 3.2GHz, with 1GB of RAM, to a PowerMac G5, Dual 2GHz, with 2.5GB of RAM. To sum things up… "JUST DO IT!"

Bill Crocker

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections