MD
Posted By
Mark_Douma
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m experiencing a rather frustrating behavior which seems to be to be a bug.

I open a file "green_selected.tiff" with the following file path:

/Volumes/mdouma46/Documents/Programming/Check Box/selected/green_selected.tiff

Upon opening the file, and without making any changes to it, I choose the "Save for Web…" command from the File menu. I choose PNG-128 as the setting and save the file back to the original folder. The file path to the new file is then:

/Volumes/mdouma46/Documents/Programming/Check Box/selected/green_selected.png

Immediately upon the finish of the "Save for Web…" menu command, the state of the original document "green_selected.tiff" which is still open in the window changes from "clean" to "dirty". By dirty, I’m referring to the appearance of unsaved changes, by the X of the window’s close button changing to a •.

I fail to see how simply opening a document and saving a copy of it to a different location is in someway modifying modifying the original. I have all color management options turned off, so I am not modifying the document in that way.

Anything I’m missing, or might this be a bug?

I’m using OS X 10.3.x with Photoshop CS.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2004
Same here. Could be a bug.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
It doesn’t happen here. I have tried it with CM Policies both "on" and "off".
[I am using Photoshop CS on Mac OS 10.3.4]
GB
g_ballard
Jun 7, 2004
I fail to see how simply opening a document and saving…is in someway
modifying the original…so I am not modifying the document in that way.

Easy, if the document’s SourceSpace does not equal PS’s WorkingSpace, and we don’t Assign the document’s SourceSpace before we save it, we may in fact be hosing it…

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/honormyembeddedprofile.html>
GB
g_ballard
Jun 7, 2004
Then again, I may have missed Marks point completely 🙂

which is still open in the window changes from "clean" to "dirty". By dirty, I’m referring to the appearance of unsaved changes, by the X of the window’s close button changing to a •.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2004
You’re not really saving the document if you’re Saving for Web though, right? And it askes you is you want to save changes when you close, too, which is a pain.

Odd that it happens on some machines and not others. Ideas?

Maybe I’ll trash prefs tomorrow and see what happens.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
<< You’re not really saving the document if you’re Saving for Web though, right? >>

Yes you are! You can choose to Optimize and you can change the name of the file too.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 7, 2004
Upon opening a file, if we ignore the file’s source space profile (by breaking PS’s color management, i.e., turning PS’s color management "off") — and the file’s source space does not equal the file’s source space — I think all would agree Photoshop is not displaying the file accurately.

My question is:
Would not Saving the file, in this scenero, "automatically" cause Photoshop to "change either the numbers in the images or the interpretation of those numbers," to use Mr. Frasers words?

In other words, opening and saving the file, in this scenero, has indeed altered it the original color???
GB
g_ballard
Jun 7, 2004
In still other words, if my PS Working RGB is Adobe RGB, and I open an untagged sRGB file (and do not Assign the sRGB profile), and immediately save it — have the original "numbers" been altered in the saved file?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 8, 2004
Ann,

I don’t think so. You are making a whole new file. Your original document remains unchanged. If you don’t modify it in any way you should be able to close it without Photoshop asking if you want to save. At least that’s how it has worked on all previous versions.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 8, 2004
If you don’t modify it in any way

Then the question becomes: What if I do change a pixel and save it — have the original "numbers" been altered in the saved file?

What do you think, Ed?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 8, 2004
And save what, the file or the pixel as a new file? If you change a pixel in a file and then save it, yes, you have changed it. No?

But if I take file.psd and use SFW to make file.jpg, file.psd doesn’t go away. For all intents and purposes it is untouched. At least that’s how it’s always been.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 8, 2004
Must go to bed. But haven’t we all used SFW countless times? The end product is a completely new file (unless it is a jpeg, say, saved as a jpeg with the same name to overwrite the original. But who would do that?)

See you tomorrow.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 8, 2004
Hmm. On second thought (and testing), maybe you’re right. It IS making changes in the original document. But it just seems wrong.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections