JL
Posted By
Justin_Luminary
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We run a Windows 2000/XP domain with multiple users that do not have admin priviledges. My users have been having consistent problems with JPGs, TIFFs, and PSDs saved from Photoshop to a network share. After many months of troubleshooting (and reseting ACLs on whole branches of the network share filesystem), I’ve tripped over the source of the problem:

A user opens a JPEG that is attached to an email message. The email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) saves a copy of the attachment to the temp folder and launches Photoshop to edit the document. Since the file is saved to the temp folder, Photoshop forces the user to Save As when they go to save. The user saves the file to the network location and moves on. The saved file DOES NOT inherit the default permissions of the network folder (as it should, and does with EVERY OTHER program in Windows), and the ACLs present on the file show that only the owner of the file has any permissions – EXACTLY the same as the temporary file that Photoshop first opened!

If the same user opens an email attachment with any other program (say, MS Word) and saves it with that program to the same network location, the file inherits the proper ACLs from the network location. If the user saves the attachment to the network location BEFORE opening it in Photoshop, the file inherits the proper ACLs. If the user creates a NEW file in Photoshop and saves it to the network location, the ACLs are also correct. The problem seems to only be with Saving As in Photoshop – Photoshop incorrectly copies file ACLs to the ‘saved as’ file.

This bug has been scarcely documented, though I have found it referenced on an old (2001) Samba mailing list where users who saved documents from Photoshop found that their files did not inherit ACLs properly even though other programs worked fine.

Does anyone know if the same thing occurs with newer versions of Photoshop??

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
May 5, 2005
Justin,

Adobe do not support saving to (or opening from) Network drives. They say you should save to the local HDD and then copy or move the file to the network drive. Working across a network is only supported when using Version Cue.
JL
Justin_Luminary
May 5, 2005
Thanks for the reply, Len, but "Adobe do not support saving to Network drives" is the most preposterous thing I’ve ever heard and I’ll ignore it for the moment 🙂

because….

The problem has NOTHING TO DO with networked files – Photoshop exhibits the exact same behavior on a local drive using NTFS:

– Create a folder on a local drive
– Set some default inheritable permissions on that folder – Open an attachment from an email using Photoshop
– Immediately Save As to the folder

When you view the ACLs on that file you’ll see that none of the inherited permissions exist – Photoshop has copied all of the ACLs from the original temporary file and told the file to NOT inherit ACLs from it’s container – THIS IS WRONG.

Do the same thing with an attachment using ANY OTHER (non-Adobe) program and you’ll find that the inherited ACLs are preserved.

I only brought up the networked drive scenario because it is realistic – setting file permissions on a local machine is not nearly as common… Once again, THIS IS NOT A NETWORK ISSUE – it is a bug in Photoshop 6.0.x. Is there anyone using a newer verion of Photoshop who can tell me if this bug still exists?

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections