H
Posted By
HP
Jul 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After I have edited a file in Elements 4.0 and I click on save, I want it to save it
with the same file name, as I have just changed it, replacing the old file with the same name.
I can’t get it to do that. I will try to save it as ‘edited’ or as a photoshop file.
How can I eliminate this. I want it to save it like it is when I tell it to?????
Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
catfish
Jul 9, 2006
it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to save as a new name. if you decide later that you are not happy with the changes you made (no, never happen, not me!), you still have the original.

"HP" wrote:
After I have edited a file in Elements 4.0 and I click on save, I want it to save it
with the same file name, as I have just changed it, replacing the old file with the same name.
I can’t get it to do that. I will try to save it as ‘edited’ or as a photoshop file.
How can I eliminate this. I want it to save it like it is when I tell it to?????
Thanks.
JM
Joseph Meehan
Jul 9, 2006
HP wrote:
Thanks.

What file type is it to start with? You can change the default to save as edited by using the check box when offered. Could there be some sort of access restrictions on the file or the director where the file is located? Could the image be opened (displayed) by another program, maybe showing as a thumbnail in a file list?

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
RG
Roy G
Jul 9, 2006
"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.
I have never used Elements 4, but in every version of Elements and Photoshop I have used, when you click on File > Save, it just saves the current version of the image, replacing the previous one.

The only problem which might prevent this from happening, could be if it is a Jpeg, and you have created one or more layers in it. Perhaps you have done so without realising, by copying a part or by adding text.

In which case it might only give you the option of saving in a format which can be saved with layers, Tiff or PSD.

Open the layers Palette, and if there is anything in addition to "Background" go to "Layers" and "Flatten Image". Then try saving.

As you have already been told, it is common sense to keep your original File intact, and to do Edits only on a Copy of that File, with a slightly different name "xxxxx_2"

It is very easy to completely mess up the editing, and if you have not kept your original, there probably won’t be any way of getting back to it, and be certain, when it happens, it will be to your best ever shot.

Roy G
H
HP
Jul 10, 2006
Thanks for the replies.
99% of my files are Jpeg. Sometimes I have added text but normally I have just cropped or done some minor modification to the picture. I always copy my original files to a CD or DVD so ‘messing up’ the original is not a problem. I just don’t want to create a second file of the one I am working on. If I create a second file name, I then have to go back and delete the original file name I am working on. Thanks for the responses.

"Roy G" wrote in message
"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.
I have never used Elements 4, but in every version of Elements and Photoshop I have used, when you click on File > Save, it just saves the current version of the image, replacing the previous one.
The only problem which might prevent this from happening, could be if it is a Jpeg, and you have created one or more layers in it. Perhaps you have done so without realising, by copying a part or by adding text.
In which case it might only give you the option of saving in a format which can be saved with layers, Tiff or PSD.

Open the layers Palette, and if there is anything in addition to "Background" go to "Layers" and "Flatten Image". Then try saving.
As you have already been told, it is common sense to keep your original File intact, and to do Edits only on a Copy of that File, with a slightly different name "xxxxx_2"

It is very easy to completely mess up the editing, and if you have not kept your original, there probably won’t be any way of getting back to it, and be certain, when it happens, it will be to your best ever shot.
Roy G
KY
Kill your Television
Jul 10, 2006
On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 16:03:58 -0400, "HP"
wrote:

Thanks.

Exactly what happens when you try to do that? I’m use PE 4 and never had a problem. It will ask me if I want to replace the existing file.
H
HP
Jul 13, 2006
It will tell me that I can only save it as a TIFF or Adobe file.

"Kill your Television" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 16:03:58 -0400, "HP"
wrote:

After I have edited a file in Elements 4.0 and I click on save, I want it to
save it
Thanks.

Exactly what happens when you try to do that? I’m use PE 4 and never had a problem. It will ask me if I want to replace the existing file.
RG
Roy G
Jul 14, 2006
"HP" wrote in message
It will tell me that I can only save it as a TIFF or Adobe file.
Hi

Go to Layers, and then Flatten Image. So that you only have one layer, the background layer.

Roy G

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections