Feb 1, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
When I tried save as a file, I get an error msg:
"Could not save (file name) because the file is already in use or left open."

The file is not open anywhere accept Photoshop.

Mac Pro, OSX 10.5.6
Photoshop CS4.

I searched the forum but could not find anything even though i’m sure someone already asked it.

would love to get a solution for that.
thank you,
shlomit

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
Try "Saving As" to a new name.
SH
Shlomit_Heymann
Feb 1, 2009
thank you, yes, i know the workaround but this will create another file and this is not what i want or need 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
It may be what you will have to have if you want to save that file!

8/

You can always delete the first file and re-name the second one after you have saved it.
SH
Shlomit_Heymann
Feb 1, 2009
This is a repeated issue in photoshop,
I would love to solve it for once.:)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
It may be another Leopard-related problem because I have never seen it happen on my G5 on OSX 10.4.11.

You are not working across a network from a Server are you?
DK
Derek_K
Feb 1, 2009
Try closing your "Preview" application. If you are like me and you set psd’s to automatically open in Preview rather than Photoshop for easy and quick viewing purposes, it will not allow Photoshop to save if the file is also opened in it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 1, 2009
I’d also guess that the file is open or in use via another application.

Neil
SH
Shlomit_Heymann
Feb 2, 2009
As I wrote, it is not open anywhere.
I just copied it from my camera card to my pictures folder, looked at it inBridge and opened it in Photoshop.

This is an old issue
Just google it and you’ll see i’m not the only one…
< http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&n ewwindow=1&q=Could+Not+Save+because+file+is+already& btnG=Search>

🙂
(i just saw there is a link to the same issue in CS3 here how come I was unable o locate it when i searched here?)
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 3, 2009
If Photoshop says the file is open – then some external process has left the file open. It has nothing to do with it being open in Photoshop, or even in Bridge. This has happened sometimes when Spotlight had bugs (which have come up more than once, and been fixed in OS dot releases).

The external process could be another application, or an OS service like Spotlight.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 3, 2009
As for being in use in other apps, as I recall, if I have, for example, a QuarkXPress page open; one that contains a graphic now open in Photoshop, and I wish to edit and save that file, I will get a similar message.

Neil
D-
David_-
Feb 6, 2009
I have seen this problem with 10.5 and Adobe CS3 in interaction with Quark 7.5

If you make a new account for testing, you should see that (with the same files, copied to /Users/Shared and then to the new account Desktop) the issue does not occur.

I haven’t pinpointed the exact file/s in question, but after setting aside the ~/Library/Preferences/Quark

folder, and all user-level prefs with "adobe" in the name, the issue was resolved.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections