Posted By
keessie
Jan 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m a web designer who makes use of Photoshop CS2. I really like the option ‘save for web’ since it enables me to save pictures quite small without significant quality loss. I have a question about this option however.
For a certain website I need to save hundreds of images (jpg) for the web (also as jpg). The only thing I need to do with each image is:
– open the image in Photoshop
– choose save for web
– and save it with the quality preference: very high

I can of course repeat these handlings a couple of hundred times and then all my images would be ready for the web. But isn’t there a faster way to do this? What I’m looking for is a way to save all the images for the web in one bulk operation. I just want to give Photoshop the command: save all these images for the web using their original name and the quality preference ‘very high’

Is this possible and if so how should I do this?

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
stevent
Jan 18, 2007
Personally I wouldn’t use SFW; I’d use something like Irfanview, that has a plugin to the strip metadata losslessly.
Or batch convert and choose not to include metadata.

PS’s tools for these operations are quite poor & slow.
JW
John_Waller
Jan 18, 2007
What I’m looking for is a way to save all the images for the web in one bulk operation. I just want to give Photoshop the command: save all these images for the web using their original name and the quality preference ‘very high’

Try File > Scripts > Image Processor.

Regards

John Waller
S
stevent
Jan 18, 2007
A few points:

1. Using the image processor on a folder of jpegs will resave them, by doing so quality will be lost (no matter what compression setting is used) – the original jpeg will be the one with the most image data. You’ll just increase the file size for absolutely no reason.

2. It’s about 100 times slower than just stripping the metadata.

3. The Image Processor Script leaves (and adds new exif metadata) to the new file – increasing file size again.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 18, 2007
Reading between the lines, I think the OP is more concerned with removing the metadata in order to reduce the file size. Image processor will not do this.

If I understand correctly, you are being supplied with Jpegs already at the correct size (pixel dimensions). That being the case, you really don’t want to be opening and resaving them for fear of pixelation and image degradation due to the losses occurred in the Jpeg saving process.

I used to use a handy little utility called JPG Cleaner which strips out the non image information without opening the actual image information. It will wizz through a folder full of files in seconds.

Best of all – it’s FREE!

<http://www.photo-freeware.net/jpgcleaner.php>

Hope this helps.

Chris.

EDIT: Steven just said virtually the same thing whilst I was checking Photo-Freeware still had the download available. Great minds and all that! 🙂
S
stevent
Jan 18, 2007
ha ha!
no one reads post #2
K
keessie
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the quick reactions! Thanks to stevent and chrisjbirchall I no understand that I can reduce my image size significant without any loss. Just tried:
<http://www.photo-freeware.net/jpgcleaner.php>

and it reduced the total image size by 60% without any loss!
L
LenHewitt
Jan 18, 2007
Keesie,

You can create an action using Save For Web and run it in batch mode.

However, the destination folder will be the one you used in Save for Web when creating the action and not the destination folder selected in the Batch d/box.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections