AR
Posted By
Andrea_Roberts
Oct 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am sending some images to a printing company, and they require that all files are saved in CMYK format. I’ve checked the modes, and all I have is bitmap, grayscale, and RGB. How do I save in CMYK?

I am running Photoshop Elements (Version: 5.1) on Windows XP, PC.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 11, 2003
Andrea, Elements can’t do CMYK natively. There is at least one "hack" that will allow you to get CMYK, but it needs to be purchased. It’s also somewhat awkward to use if you need to work with it a lot. CMYK capability is one of the more advanced features Adobe left out of Elements to keep the price down. Full PS is the app most use when they need to send image files for professional printing.

Here’s the site, but know it’s a commercial one!

<http://www.hiddenelements.com/index.html>
AR
Andrea_Roberts
Oct 11, 2003
From what I’ve learned in just the last half hour of surfing these forums, Photoshop Elements isn’t that great. It’s been nice for me to learn on, but it looks like I should start saving up for the full version.

Thanks anyways!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 11, 2003
Andrea

In fact Elements is a great program but it may not fit you needs.

If you need CMYK you might be interested in Adobe Photoshop at http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html

or CorelDraw Graphic Suit 11
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Produc ts/productInfo&id=1042153079054

or CorelDraw Essential which is CorelDraw 9 a very powerful program at an extremely reduced price
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Produc ts/productInfo&id=1042152774096&did=1042153079054

Finally you may be interested in PaintShop Pro at http://www.jasc.com/

I have and use all three and if money is a problem CorelDraw Essential is an absolute killer product and at $79 US is a steal.

Grant
R
Ray
Oct 11, 2003
While being on the subject… CorelDraw Essentials is now a qualifying product to get CorelDraw or CorelDraw Suite at the upgrade price.

Ray
RL
Richard_Lynch
Oct 11, 2003
"From what I’ve learned in just the last half hour of surfing these forums, Photoshop Elements isn’t that great. It’s been nice for me to learn on, but it looks like I should start saving up for the full version. "

My first response was "Poppycock." but I changed my mind. Depending on what you need to do, you may find what you need in Elements — IF you learn how to use it. i use Elements PROFESSIONALLY. And that is from a Photoshop user of some 11+ years. Not that great? Tell me what it is that Elements CAN’T do.

Beside record actions (it plays back), 16-bit, VOLUME CMYK (it can do CMYK with the right techniques), and the lack of Image Ready, it does what you need. What do you plan to do?

Richard Lynch
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 11, 2003
"From what I’ve learned in just the last half hour of surfing these forums, Photoshop Elements isn’t that great. It’s been nice for me to learn on, but it looks like I should start saving up for the full version. "

I’m surprised you would get that from this forum, although people do come here for problem solving but if you look at the Challenge images you may not get the impression that Photoshop Elements isn’t that great. There’s a lot more to this program than may meet the eye, IMO.

Richard has thrown down the gauntlet. So what is it that Photoshop Elements can’t do for you that Photoshop would?
AR
Andrea_Roberts
Oct 12, 2003
Sorry to step on people’s toes. I’m not a very experienced user, so I’m sure I don’t know what I’m talking about. I was just under the impression that Elements lacked a lot of useful tools, and since I am learning with the aim to work professionally, I thought it would be a good investment to get the full version. For instance, I need the ability to save in CMYK or Duotones format, as required by the printing company I need to send my work to. I have read in these forums that I can’t do this with Elements (without a hack), but you say it can do CMYK with the right techniques – could you explain to me how to do this?

And what are your opinions of Corel programs in comparison to Photoshop? $79 is an attractive price.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 12, 2003
Andrea

In the past I have made a living using Corel. It is an excellent program and the Version 9 at $79 is very hard to beat. What you get is in fact two programs, CorelDraw and PhotoPaint and a few smaller ones add on as well. CorelDraw is a vector program an is without equal. Photopaint is comparable to Photoshop and a lot easier to use than Photoshop when it comes to adding text. The positive side to Photoshop is the *standard* so there is lots of third party extras. While Corel Photopaint can use all the plug-in there is not as many *help books* written for it compared to those for Photoshop.

Grant
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 12, 2003
Andrea –

Do you happen to have Acrobat Standard or Professional? If you do, you can create a CMYK .pdf file which I’m sure you’re printer can accept.

wrote in message
Sorry to step on people’s toes. I’m not a very experienced user, so I’m
sure I don’t know what I’m talking about. I was just under the impression that Elements lacked a lot of useful tools, and since I am learning with the aim to work professionally, I thought it would be a good investment to get the full version. For instance, I need the ability to save in CMYK or Duotones format, as required by the printing company I need to send my work to. I have read in these forums that I can’t do this with Elements (without a hack), but you say it can do CMYK with the right techniques – could you explain to me how to do this?
And what are your opinions of Corel programs in comparison to Photoshop?
$79 is an attractive price.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections