How to recover a text generated file picture from a "save as" mistake?

C
Posted By
cakealanoixdecocoetalacannelle
Jun 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi all,

What about a file that had been generated in a text format (.txt) from photoshop, a 100 MB picture? So here is the exact action from a human being:

1) save as … all files …

2) "filename" added from the keyboard ".txt" to the filename …

3) here we go, the file is now related to wordpad…

Since then, there is no way to open that file as a picture…notepad is the only programm that can read this file.

let me know please of any answer if there are any,

Pascal

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AM
Andrew Morton
Jun 9, 2005
Rename the file with the correct filename extension.

Within Photoshop, you can also use File->Open As… and tell it what file format it is.

Andrew
thx for the tip,

as i’m just helping a friend, i’ll let you know here of this issue.

meanwhile, thank you,

pascal
T
Tacit
Jun 9, 2005
In article ,
"cakealanoixdecocoetalacannelle"
wrote:

1) save as … all files …

2) "filename" added from the keyboard ".txt" to the filename …
3) here we go, the file is now related to wordpad…

Since then, there is no way to open that file as a picture…notepad is the only programm that can read this file.

Change the .txt to whatever the image actually is. For example, if the image was saved as a .psd file, change the .txt to .psd; it’s that simple.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Well, the first solution from Andrew worked perfectly.

As a reply to Tacit, we had first try to change the extension manualy from the windows desk but it wouldn’t work. Try to change a .jpeg to ..txt, right click on the file and you’ll see the file name to be "4example.jpeg.txt".

To my eyes, the reason for this comes from photoshop as a software that has generated (from my friend ‘s mistake when he initialy saved the file and added .txt to his file picture saving…) the file prior any initial picture format, you see?

And when trying to open this "picture".txt file, every other software from 7 days trial acdsee to my friend’s photoshop soft would read it using the simple "open" button message was : "invalid file format". Only notepad would read it.

The solution "open as" has forced photoshop to read the file it has generated and my friend said it then worked, he could see the picture he’s been working on for an hour or 2 and no weird notepad binary file scripts…

Thx to both of you anyway for helping
E
edjh
Jun 9, 2005
cakealanoixdecocoetalacannelle wrote:
Well, the first solution from Andrew worked perfectly.

As a reply to Tacit, we had first try to change the extension manualy from the windows desk but it wouldn’t work. Try to change a .jpeg to .txt, right click on the file and you’ll see the file name to be "4example.jpeg.txt".

To my eyes, the reason for this comes from photoshop as a software that has generated (from my friend ‘s mistake when he initialy saved the file and added .txt to his file picture saving…) the file prior any initial picture format, you see?

What I don’t get is how on earth you can save an image file as .txt, since that is not a format in the dropdown of Photoshop. Or was it saved from some other software?

That said, I have no problem whatsoever changing the extension in Windows without any strange names added. Just highlight the extension and type in the one you want. You get a confirmation dialog. Hit yes and that’s it.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
Tacit
Jun 9, 2005
In article <gn3qe.6$>,
edjh wrote:

What I don’t get is how on earth you can save an image file as .txt, since that is not a format in the dropdown of Photoshop. Or was it saved from some other software?

It isn’t text; it has the file extension .txt but it’s still whatever Photoshop saved it as.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
T
Tacit
Jun 9, 2005
In article ,
"cakealanoixdecocoetalacannelle"
wrote:

As a reply to Tacit, we had first try to change the extension manualy from the windows desk but it wouldn’t work. Try to change a .jpeg to .txt, right click on the file and you’ll see the file name to be "4example.jpeg.txt".

This probably means that you have Windows set up to hide file extensions. Turn that off, and it will let you change a file’s extension for real.

E
edjh
Jun 10, 2005
Tacit wrote:
In article <gn3qe.6$>,
edjh wrote:

It isn’t text; it has the file extension .txt but it’s still whatever Photoshop saved it as.
I understand that, but I’m wondering by what process it got named with the wrong extension? Surely not from Photoshop.

Comics art for sale:
RD
Roberto Divia
Jun 10, 2005
cakealanoixdecocoetalacannelle wrote:

This is because your Explorer is setup to hide the file extensions of known file types. As "file.txt" is known to be a text file – to be opened with notepad – Explorer hides the ".txt" and does not let you change it.

Solution:
Open Explorer on the folder that contains the "lost file" "Tools"
"Folder Options…"
Select the tab "View"
De-select the "Hide extensions for known file types"

Now you will see the ".txt" and you will be able to change it to something else (with a – sich – warning from Explorer)…

Ciao,

Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest Dep:PH Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen Route de Meyrin 385 ——————————————— Case Postale Phone: +41-22-767-4994 CH-1211 Geneve 23 CERN Fax: +41-22-767-9585 Switzerland E-Mail:
edjh

"What I don’t get is how on earth you can save an image file as .txt, since that is not a format in the dropdown of Photoshop. Or was it saved
from some other software? " (from edjh)

First thx for the tip about how to make windows show file extension…

Second, you can save a file inside photoshop as a text file. I know it’s a bit weird but I’m not the one who did it.

From what I understand from my friend, he worked on a picture and he
added lots of text in it as comments, I think it was a patchwork…

He is not always confortable with computer and after he finished his work, he though such a file with lots of text in it should be saved as a text file, you see…?

I would not have thought about doing this either but when he saved let say for the first time his file, he went into the menu "save as" in photoshop and chose the "all file" format and typed in the => photoshop box, "image.txt"

I don’t have photoshop, I can’t try this, so if you want to take a try, let me know if it really desn’t work, then I’ll have to tell my friend that he did something and make him recall what he did not to make that same mistake, althought Tacit had the answer…

Thx all
E
edjh
Jun 10, 2005
He is not always confortable with computer and after he finished his work, he though such a file with lots of text in it should be saved as a text file, you see…?

That’s funny.
I would not have thought about doing this either but when he saved let say for the first time his file, he went into the menu "save as" in photoshop and chose the "all file" format and typed in the => photoshop box, "image.txt"

I don’t have photoshop, I can’t try this, so if you want to take a try, let me know if it really desn’t work, then I’ll have to tell my friend that he did something and make him recall what he did not to make that same mistake, althought Tacit had the answer…

Thx all

Doesn’t do that on my XP. I get image.txt.tif for example. But maybe with extensoins hidden?

I think it’s a bad idea to hide the extension no matter what platform you are on.

I have long said that newbies can get bizarre results that pros can’t duplicate even of they try. I’ve seen it several times before.

Comics art for sale:

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections