how do I resolve: "Could not save ‘photo.tif’ because the file is already in use"

C
Posted By
chris9
Dec 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
sometimes, when trying to save a file I have been working on in Photoshop, I get the following error message:

"Could not save ‘photo.tif’ because the file is already in use"

which doesn’t let me save it. So I have to "save as…" and give it a different name, or use the same name and save it in another location, then delete the previous version, then move or rename the file I was trying to save. This gets to be VERY OLD and ANNOYING after awhile.

does anyone know why I am getting this error message and how I can resolve this issue?

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

OO
Omke_Oudeman
Dec 4, 2006
If you are working on one image you should be able to save it unless you have a copy or an other file open with the same file name as the one you are working on.

So check what other files are on your screen if this occurs again

And I may assume that you are using better file names then ‘photo.tif’… 🙂

kind regards

Omke
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2006
Are you saving over a network?
C
chris9
Dec 4, 2006
other photoshop files are open, but not the same file, or a file with the same name.

no, I am not saving over a network.

this problem seems to come and go. but it is here now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 4, 2006
Can you Save As to a new name?

You may need to use Cocktail to clean your Caches etc., and then to re-boot the computer.
AF
Alan Fribourg
Dec 28, 2006
I just joined the forum to resolve similar problems: I’m using PSCS2 and I just started having the problem of not being able to save or save as *any* files that I open in PS. I get a similar error message: "Could not save "…myfile .jpg" because the the file is already in use or was left open" This just started and is very frustrating as I have a great deal of work to do. I’ve closed all other programs, re booted, and the only thing I haven’t tried is safe mode, which is next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections