DUOTONE with METALLIC Pantone Spot Color – POSSIBLE???

RZ
Posted By
Richard_Zendarski
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can I make a duotone or monotone with a Pantone Metallic Ink and save it so that the Metallic Color will print to it’s own plate? I’d like the photos on a package I’m designing for a camera to print in silver ink over a black background. Is a duotone possible? Or would I have to do only a monotone? Then how do I transfer this to a spot channel?

To complicate things even more, I’d like to partially cover the metallic imagery with CMYK imagery — I figure I can do those graphics in a separate eps file and import them into Freehand, my final program in which I will send all of this to print. I plan to make the black background in Freehand as well.

Is a metallic spot plate exorbitantly expensive?

Any input really appreciated!

Anyone know of any good tutorial or reading on Duotones and Using Spot Colors in Photoshop for importing into an illustration program.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
Todie
May 21, 2004
I don’t know of any tutorial

A metallic spot plate can add from $400 to "whatever" to the price of a printing job, and greatly increases the risk of becoming a total fiasco in untrained hands

Freehand isn’t a layout application

Intricate masking is needed for CMYK+metallic images, and the file should be saved as a DCS2

You can use a metallic color in a duotone if you save the file as an EPS

In case of fire, brake the glass
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
"Brake"?
How fast are you driving your Press?
T
Todie
May 21, 2004
Ann, I was working my way up to advising Richard to hire a professional pre press artist. (as in an emergency situation, since it seems that he’s working on a live job)

I wish I had a press.
(not really)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections