SN
Posted By
Sandra_Niemann
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m creating a cover with two colors — maroon and black. I would like one piece of art to be a duotone and the text to be black. I created the duotone and created the type but when I put the two into the same file, exported it and printed separations, the type printed both black and maroon. What am I doing wrong? The text and the art overlap so exporting them separately is not an option. I’m using Adobe CS, PC version. Thanks for any help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 29, 2004
You have to create a spot channel for the type for it to print without the duotone.

Easiest way…(and there are several)

Create type on a new layer, click on type with magic wand to create a new selection, invert selection (or click on transparent space and you don’t have to invert)

Go to the channels palette and create a new channel from selection (second button on the bottom of the channels palette)

Double click on the new channel and a dialog box will appear. Select spot channel, click on the color swatch and choose your Pantone Color. Ask your printer what solidity % to use.

Delete the type layer from the layers palette.
JS
John_Slate
Jul 29, 2004
Easier still:

Place your duotone in a layout program and set the type there.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 29, 2004
That’s cheating…true…but still cheating! It is much easier to do spot color text in InDesign–select color, type and your done.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections