Posted By
pedro_taquelim
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

I doing a 2 color job with 2 spot colors , black and Pantone 375 (green) in Illustrator 11. I want to PLACE Duotone images (with this 2 spot colors) in Illustrator 11.

In Photoshop CS, the images are in Duotone mode, but there are 2 problems:

1- In Photoshop CS when I paint a large area (background) of the image with Pantone 375 (a bright green), with the Paint Bucket for example, the green that appears on the image is not the same one. It’s not the same bright green of Pantone 375, this colour appears like a much low saturated green colour than the original one I have on the physical Pantone catalogue or in the example of the Custom colour palette in Photoshop CS.
My question is: Is this green (pantone 375) going to print correctly in offset printing (a bright green)? Or is this only a "bad" representation in Duotone mode of the true bright green colour and I don’t have to worry about the off set printing? Or what will I do, to make a true and faithful representation of the Pantone 375 (a bright green) in Duotone mode?

2- When I PLACE the Duotone images in Illustrator 11, they also appear less saturated then the ones I see on Photoshop CS. And it’s the same image! My question is: The spot colour Pantone 375 is going to print correctly when placed in Illustrator 11?

Thank you very much for your attention!

pedro

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jul 27, 2004
Make sure the Pantone is Solid Coated to get a proper preview. Solid to Process Coated (CMYK) can’t render 375 accurately. It’s out of gamut for offset. I find a more closer mix at 40%Cyan and 100%Yellow.

Since you’re dealing with a duotone, you want the Solid Coated version, anyway.
JS
John_Slate
Jul 27, 2004
Sounds like you are saving a DCS2 file.

They do not do well in Illustrator.

Better to place in ID.

Is this green (pantone 375) going to print correctly in offset printing (a bright green)?

Remember that a spot color is it’s own special mix of ink, so it will print as whatever color ink is loaded into the press unit for that plate. So it could match a Pantone swatch, or not, depending on whether the ink ws mixed properly.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections