spots of pantone color on black and white photo?

A
Posted By
adunate
Jul 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to create a spot of Pantone color on a black and white photo? I did my example with the channel mixer and a history brush, however it’s in cmyk. Can I get the red into a Pantone so I have a 2-color photo?

<http://www.adunate.com/flying_jason.jpg>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2008
You need a Grayscale with an additional Spot Color Channel.
A
adunate
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks. How do I do this?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 28, 2008
look in the help menu under CMYK and Grayscale and Spot colors within the application of Photoshop.
A
adunate
Jul 31, 2008
I understand how to convert my image from CMYK to Pantone, however, I’d like to convert just the one color to Pantone, while leaving the rest of the image as greyscale.

I cannot find instruction on how to do this. Anyone?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 31, 2008
Just copy the information that you want from the grayscale image into the Spot channel.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 31, 2008
… and, if you don’t want the Spot color to Overprint, knock out that part of the image from the Grayscale channel — but remember to leave a sufficient Trap.
AR
alan_ruta
Jul 31, 2008
FYI (just in case) the trapping thing can be (IMHO) a bit tricky. If you have a perfect mask then you need to min or max the cmyk and/or spot a pixel or two. Also the amount of pixels depends on your effective resolution, e.g. 1 pixel at 300 dpi, placed at 100% should be good. However if the image is placed at 30 percent or has a rez of 400 or 600dpi the number change.

alan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections