AP
Posted By
Alin Pilkington
Jul 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anybody been successful attaching a photo to an email using Elements 2 on a Mac (10.2.6)? I tried it and though it does bring up the Apple Mail application as expected, it does not attach the photo. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Alin Pilkington

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Joe Henry1000
Jul 21, 2003
Hi Alin,

I don’t know as this will help you but I’m not having any trouble and I’m using 10.2.6.

So what you’re saying is that the body of the e-mail is blank? Hmmm…

Joe
AP
Alin Pilkington
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks Joe, are you using the full blown Elements or the academic version? I have no idea if they are identical but I am using the academic version. I’m also using an 800 Mhz iBook with 640 MB RAM. What is your configuration? Maybe I just need to reinstall…

Alin 🙂
JH
Joe Henry1000
Jul 21, 2003
Alin,

I’d try deleting your preferences before reinstalling. This thread <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.1de9fea0/0> explains how to do that. Yes, I’m using the full blown version but I can’t believe Adobe would cripple your academic version that way. And the fact that Mail does open when you try makes me think the capablility is still there, just not working right. I’m on a G4/533 tower with 640mb RAM. If deleting the preferences doesn’t work, reinstalling might help.

So, does Mail actually open up and create a new e-mail message? Or don’t you get that far?

Joe
AP
Alin Pilkington
Jul 21, 2003
Ya…Mail seems to do all the right things up to the last step (which is attaching the photo). Mail launches if it is not already running and creates a new e-mail message and the insertion point is in the To: field. Unfortunately, the photo is never attached (I assume it should appear in the email body…yes??).

I’m assuming also that Elements interacts with Mail in the same manner as iPhoto which works just fine (which provides some confidence that the Mail app is working alright).

As for the prefs, I did delete the user prefs manually (dragged them to the trash) but there may some global level prefs that need to be trashed as well so I’ll give it another shot per your suggestion using the 3 key combo.

Thanks Joe!
AP
Alin Pilkington
Jul 21, 2003
Joe and Beth,

Many thanks for your responses but I finally got to the bottom of this. It turned out that I had an opened e-mail in it’s own window (ie detached from the browser) that I never had bothered to close. When I closed that rascal, it all worked as advertised. This may still be an Elements problem given that iPhoto worked alright even though the rogue e-mail was opened up in it’s own window.

Many thanks again!

Alin 🙂
JH
Joe Henry1000
Jul 21, 2003
Alin,

Glad things are working for you now.

Beth,

Mail is interesting in this regard. In Mail attachments show up by default in the body of the message. It’s still treated just like a regular attachment but Mail displays the image (if you attach a photo you see the photo, if you attach a PDF you see the actual pdf). You can set Mail to make the image just show up as an icon, but it still is placed in the body of the email. I’m not sure if I like that or not.

Joe
DS
Darby Stone
Jul 22, 2003
Hi,

I’m not sure if this may help but… try checking to see if Mail Preferences has the html attachments check marked.

I hope it works. Good luck.

Beep Beep,
Darby

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections