Does Photoshop Elements 2.0 support Mac OS X v10.2 ?

KE
Posted By
Karen_Ellingson
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does Photoshop Elements 2.0 support Mac OS X v10.2?

I’ve been running PSE 1.0 with System 9, just upgraded to OS X v10.2 and was going to upgrade to PSE 2.0, but Adobe’s web site lists system requirements as Mac OS X v.10.1.3-10.1.5, nothing about 10.2.

I’m just scanning and retouching old family photographs, nothing fancy, should I wait to upgrade PSE?

Karen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
Yes, it runs fine on 10.2 and above. It’s just that Elements 2.0 was introduced before Jaguar came out.

In terms of whether or not you should upgrade, that depends on how much you want to move one step farther away from OS 9!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 2, 2003
I would go ahead if you can find a good price on PE 2. I don’t know what rebates are out there right now, but you can often find it for as little as $29 for registered owners of PE 1.

It’s well worth that to avoid booting back and forth, and PE 1 can be iffish in Classic. Sometimes it runs great, but some people have lots of trouble with it there.
EM
Elena_Murphy
Oct 2, 2003
I concur. I’m running it fine on 10.2.8.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 2, 2003
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I recently upgraded from 10.1.5 to 10.2.6 and Elements is much faster now.
LM
Lou_M
Oct 2, 2003
And it’ll probably run fine on 10.3 (Panther), too.
KE
Karen_Ellingson
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I’m going for the upgrade.

Karen
TB
Todd_Burger
Oct 16, 2003
Was running Photoshopo Elements fine on two different G4’s with 10.2.7. After upgrading to 10.2.8 the program crashes on launch. Any suggestions?
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 16, 2003
Did you repair permissions after your system upgrade? I just went to 10.2.8 without any trouble. I’ve heard there’s the chance you might need to do fsck _y, too, if your computer doesn’t run 24/7 or you don’t use something like Mac Janitor.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 16, 2003
Just looking at the new Macs in our local store, WOW are they awesome! The new G5 is available for under 2 thou.
I was looking at the iMac with the big screen,,,,,,,,,
Do I need it, nooooo, do I want it, yesssssss
Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Hi, Beth.fsck -y is a good idea, but has no relationship to the cron jobs that macjanitor does. One isn’t a substitute for the other. You need both.

Todd, which 10.2.8 update are you using? The first one or the one that came out about a week or so ago? If the original, the one that was later pulled by Apple, I would try archive and installing the recent version over it.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 16, 2003
Yes, I do understand they’re separate, so I must have worded it poorly. Sorry. 🙂 Brain hasn’t fully engaged yet this a.m.
TB
Todd_Burger
Oct 16, 2003
Could someone explain what fsck_y is? Also, the version of 10.2.8 was done in the last 4 days using Software Update, so I assume its the newer version.

I am wondering if I should try to reinstall the software? If I do, any tips on uninstalling? Does the orginal Elements CD have an uninstall routine on it, or do I have manually search for and delete files? Or is this a waste of time?

By the way, I have also posted this problem to Apple’s discussion boards with no help yet.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Todd, does this mean you did repair permissions? If you haven’t, do that first.

To run fsck -y, restart your computer while holding command + S. It will restart to a black screen full of scary-looking white type. When it’s done loading, type "fsck -y" without the quotes. Note the space between the k and the dash.

It will run through a check of your sytem and either say that the drive "appears to be okay" or that "files were modified." If files were modified, repeat the whole process till you get the okay message.

When the okay message appears, type "reboot" (no quotes) to get back to regular mac-land.
TB
Todd_Burger
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,

Thank you! No I did not yet try to repair permissions. Can you remind me where to find that? Are we talking about looking at the files in the Adobe Photoshop Elements folder and looking at the permissions for each one using "Get Info" or a different process?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
No, you need to repair system permissions before and after you install/upgrade anything major. Go to applications>utilities>disk utilities and click the first aid tab, then click repair permissions. Other programs should be shut down while you do this. It will take a while, since it checks every file on your drive, so don’t worry.

I would bet that PE will work again if you do this.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections