LB
Posted By
leona_barratt
Mar 31, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was assured that OpenGL was installed correctly on my Mac but it doesn’t work in PS. I was told it must be an Adobe issue. In preferences the OPENGL drawing is grayed out. I’ve ran Adobe updates and restarted my Mac and still get errors "only works with OpenGL documents".
OpenGL Graphics Test 175.74

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Mar 31, 2009
Details of your video card are needed.
R
Ram
Mar 31, 2009
You need one whose driver supports OpenGL2 and Shader Model 3, with 256 MB of V-RAM on board.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 31, 2009
Actually, only 128 MB VRAM on board to get some OpenGL features. Some 3D GPU features in Ps Extended will require 256 MB in order to use.

Leona, video cards specs are needed to trouble shoot this, but even with a supported configuration, you may get that message in some conditions (ie. multiple windows open, high screen resolution on multiple 30" monitors). However, in your case with the preference option being grayed out, this sounds like you either need to check your video card driver or the video card itself is underpowered.
R
Ram
Mar 31, 2009
Steve,

Actually, only 128 MB VRAM on board

Just curious: Could one drive two monitors off one single card with only 128 MB VRAM? The thought of running Photoshop with a single monitor often escapes my mind.
B
Buko
Apr 1, 2009
Could one drive two monitors off one single card with only 128 MB VRAM?

Yes.

I did this with the 6600LE that came stock with the G5
R
Ram
Apr 1, 2009
I did this with the 6600LE that came stock with the G5

And you had OpenGL in CS4 with that card?
LB
leona_barratt
Apr 1, 2009
I am running 2 monitors if that makes a difference.
Leona

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0395
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3021
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Cinema Display:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
B
Buko
Apr 1, 2009
And you had OpenGL in CS4 with that card?

No you just asked if one could run 2 monitors with 128MB RAM.

actually OpenGL worked with the AllowOld GPS.plugin
R
Ram
Apr 1, 2009
My question was not without context, Buko. It was addressed to Steve Guilhamet of Adobe and it referenced his post.

Obviously I was only wondering if a card with just 128 MB of VRAM is enough to drive two monitors with OpenGL functions fully enabled.

If you had to use the AllowOldFarts plug-in, I bet the Advanced options were not enabled.
B
Buko
Apr 1, 2009
I don’t remember now.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Apr 2, 2009
Hi Ramón,

I haven’t tried to drive 2 monitors with a 128MB card. I’m guessing that the particular OS, card and driver, along with image size, and monitor resolution all contribute to the overall experience. I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t work.

My mention of 128 MB VRAM was meant to reflect minimum requirements for enabling OpenGL drawing. The MacBook Air (GMA x3100, 128MB) gets OpenGL drawing, but is also a single small screen at 1280 x 800.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Apr 2, 2009
Hi Leona,

I haven’t tracked down an early 24" iMac. You might try disconnecting the secondary Cinema display, or dropping the resolution on your primary to see if that changes anything.
R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
Steve,

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply. I was just being curious. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections