Restoration problem – is there a solution?

D
Posted By
dee
Jan 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The graphic at http://www.treadles.ca/problem.jpg is a quarter of a scanned page from a 1911 catalog. There’s a faint Art Nouveau design border around each page which barely shows in either the original or the scans. I’d like to preserve it and started drawing in the design freehand and cleaning the background as shown on part of the file but it’s a lot of work.

The scan was done in grayscale but noticed that the border is a very light yellowish green, the only colour on each page? Would it be easier to emphasize the border in colour instead?

Can anyone suggest an easier way to restore the border?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jaSPAMc
Jan 19, 2007
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:27:18 -0500, found these unused words floating about:

The graphic at http://www.treadles.ca/problem.jpg is a quarter of a scanned page from a 1911 catalog. There’s a faint Art Nouveau design border around each page which barely shows in either the original or the scans. I’d like to preserve it and started drawing in the design freehand and cleaning the background as shown on part of the file but it’s a lot of work.

The scan was done in grayscale but noticed that the border is a very light yellowish green, the only colour on each page? Would it be easier to emphasize the border in colour instead?

Depends upon your scanner ..

In an epson Perfection, I ‘window’ just a portion of the area I’m interested in having in the -=final=- scan. For you this would be a part of the border only.

Set the histogram and other parts on this, then enlarge to capture the whole -=without=- altering your settings. ("Auto" Mode must be OFF!)

Scan each quarter and stitch … erase the un-needed portions. *done*.
D
dee
Jan 19, 2007
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:51:10 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Depends upon your scanner ..

Wow, never thought of that. Guess I’m too Photoshop-centric. Have a six month old scanner that will do what you suggest – will give it a try. Many thanks.
J
Joe
Jan 19, 2007
wrote:

Trying using Burn/Dodge and combination of Level/Curve and Layers/Mask etc.
R
Roberto
Jan 19, 2007
Try duplicating the images layer and changing the blending mode to multiply.

ljc

Do not assume that because I didn’t reply to your comments that you are correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You can assume that you bore me!

wrote in message

CG
Chris Gilbert
Jan 19, 2007

If you scanned the document through a yellow/green celophane film then it should render the border black/dark grey, increasing the contrast with the background.

Chris
U
usenet
Jan 21, 2007
wrote:

If the border is truly the only thing in color, then that’s the only way you’ll be able to restore it. Scan it in color, convert to LAB, and look at the A and B channels. The color information will show up there, without any of the monochrome elements. It will likely be very faint, so copy either of those channels and run whatever contrast-enhancing filter you want to on it. Then you can use that as a mask for replacing the border.

Note also that an unsharp mask filter will emphasize detail at small pixel values, but will emphasize shape at larger ones. An unsharp mask filter at, say, 50 pixels and more than 200% will pull the lines out once they’re isolated from the rest of the grunge.

HTH.
D
dee
Jan 22, 2007
Many thanks to all for their great help. I was bragging to a friend a short while ago what a great help this group is. She’s just started learning Photoshop and so far I’ve managed to answer her questions. But I sure know where to go when she hits me with a tough one.

Thanks again to all. I’ve saved your messages and will try them all as the booklet I’m reproducing has 24 pages all with faint Art Nouveau-style borders which are part of its charm and I want to restore them all. Sure hope that they aren’t all different. (-:

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections